What's new

Buying used equip long distance

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Saw some stuff on car wash consignment i am interested. Want to spend about $5,000.00.

How do I and the seller stay protected?

If I send him $ will I get the stuff? will it be as advertised?

On the othr hand, if he sends the stuff, how can he be sure to be paid. Trying to make assurances as even handed as possible.

What would you do?

I killed a deal once with a local distributer because he wanted a big chunk up front. I refused. Offered to set up an escrow with his lawyer. offered to be waiting with a certified check in hand for the truck to unload. He refused.

washnvac

Reaction score
I bought a reclaim from carwashconsignment.com a while back. Those guys seem to handle everything OK. I think they will make sure you get your product. My purchase was $3k. As it turned out, the owner of the equipment did not remove the drain plug from the 3hp pump. This caused a crack in the housing from Winter freezing. So I bought a new pump for $650, and I still had a good deal.

captain cw

Reaction score
I've bought stuff through them. Came out fine. They take care of the money as the middle man. It can be a really great idea, as long as you do your homework.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong --- Credit Card Protection?

How do I and the seller stay protected?

If I send him $ will I get the stuff? will it be as advertised?

What would you do?
QUOTE]

Earl & others,

I thought that was the niftiest thing about paying with VISA or PayPal was because it protects both the merchant & the buyer. Isn't the seller & the buyer both protected in cases of blatant disregard for the other. It seems this is spelled out in the fine print of Visa & other credit card companies with both their merchants & buyers etc.

I suppose the problem there would occur in "less than clear" dissatisfaction on some intricate part of the components or within the "tough to decipher" finer points of the transaction detail etc.

MJ

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
There was some confusion. When I clicked on the "Contact Seller" button on the car wash consignment website it gave me an "Astromatics" e mail address so I thought I was dealing with the original owner whoever that might be, After some communication it became clear that "Astromatics" is the car wash consignment e-mail. So I am more comfortable dealingwith a middle man who seems to have a good reputation.