What's new

Buying To Rebuild Or Refurbish To Modern

dharris888

Reaction score
Guys,
I buying a car wash that I'm not expecting it to perform as well. Maybe 4k-5k monthly on a self service and Automatic. I want to tear the building down and put up a modern looking car wash, and add single arm automatics in the new self serve bays and upgrade payments, but not by to much because it is mostly mid income, and surrounding withain a mile radius18k homes/ Apartments. It has a small tunnel bay and I'm thinking of adding a rollover into that bay instead of a small tunnel, but I'm not sure if that's feasible. Should I tear down, modernize building or can this building be refurbished? I GOT PICS

Attachments

dharris888

Reaction score
Thanks. You don't think it needs to be torn down and rebuilt to a modern style? Also if torn down can it be moved back off the street some or does it need to be in the same spot. So close to road and customers almost have to go to thestrto get to vacuum

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Thanks. You don't think it needs to be torn down and rebuilt to a modern style? Also if torn down can it be moved back off the street some or does it need to be in the same spot. So close to road and customers almost have to go to thestrto get to vacuum
Hard to say with the info at hand. With it being an operating wash now, a lot of infrastructure is already there, not to mention the bureaucratic hurdles that have already been cleared.

Reaction score
With some new paint, new awning, maybe some black metal roofing, and new signage, you'd be surprised how presentable you'll be able to make that building.

Roz

Reaction score
Or find someone to remove the roof at the top of the bay walls and replace with a higher, basic roof. We did that in one of our bays to accommodate trucks up to 12’.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
As has been said, that is one ugly-ass building. Easily top ten I've seen. If, mechanically, everything works it would be the first thing I'd look at. From the looks of it that tree in the back left corner seems to be intrusive. I'd turn that into firewood if at all possible. Unless you're a filthy Buckeye fan, gray and red are a horrible combination. The board and batten on the "second story" look weird but would be a real good place for a nice big sign. Those red "roofs" look like someone stole them from a closed down Pizza Hut.

As much as I'm a filthy capitalist pig and would love to take your money for new equipment, sometimes lipstick on the pig is the best thing. There's a 3/1 a couple of miles down the road that for years my wife refuse to go to because it looked grungy even though everything worked really well. A few years ago a new owner took over. New paint, signage, lighting, graphics, parking lot repairs, and some landscaping and she came home one day saying how she decided to stop there to wash and how happy she was with how great everything worked. She kind of got glass-eyed when I explained to her not a single functional thing was changed, just her perception of the site. She's a "consumer" in every sense and I've found it really does lend me a certain perspective(even though it drives me nuts).

eckert16

Reaction score
You've likely already discoverd that the highway in front of you site has a bit over 7,000 average daily traffic count.

rowenics1088

Reaction score
Guys,
I buying a car wash that I'm not expecting it to perform as well. Maybe 4k-5k monthly on a self service and Automatic. I want to tear the building down and put up a modern looking car wash, and add single arm automatics in the new self serve bays and upgrade payments, but not by to much because it is mostly mid income, and surrounding withain a mile radius18k homes/ Apartments. It has a small tunnel bay and I'm thinking of adding a rollover into that bay instead of a small tunnel, but I'm not sure if that's feasible. Should I tear down, modernize building or can this building be refurbished? I GOT PICS

i just did a tear down . ( dont ) i am G.C from texas i took one down for chemical guys and holy crap it sucks

Etowah