Buying existing wash in NJ - resources?

Rob07002

Reaction score
About Me:
Over 20 years finance and sales/marketing background
Currently self-employed sales consultant
Mechanically/Tech self-sufficient
Car enthusiast
Finally getting serious about buying a wash in Central NJ (Monmouth/Ocean county)

What are some recommended resources for searching available washes for sale?
Recommended consultants?
Brokers?
Financing?

Welcome all input and suggestions, thank you.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Buying business-only wash can be challenging. Start by determining how much cash flow is needed.

For example, $200,000 would require gross sales of about $1.0 million. So, it might cost $800,000 to $1.0 million to acquire this business.

Consequently, due diligence is principally income verification because equipment and building are incidental to market value.

If the seller is running the business out of a cigar box, as some still are, determining accuracy or reasonableness of financials can be a crap shoot.

I would cast my fate with carwash consultant or equipment dealer rather than with business broker or real estate agent with regards to due diligence.

Taking on a job as assistant manager at a wash (plenty of openings) to see if you like the idea of being at the wash everyday is also a good first step.

Rob07002

Reaction score
Buying business-only wash can be challenging. Start by determining how much cash flow is needed.

For example, $200,000 would require gross sales of about $1.0 million. So, it might cost $800,000 to $1.0 million to acquire this business.

Consequently, due diligence is principally income verification because equipment and building are incidental to market value.

If the seller is running the business out of a cigar box, as some still are, determining accuracy or reasonableness of financials can be a crap shoot.

I would cast my fate with carwash consultant or equipment dealer rather than with business broker or real estate agent with regards to due diligence.

Taking on a job as assistant manager at a wash (plenty of openings) to see if you like the idea of being at the wash everyday is also a good first step.
Thanks for your input Robert. Any recommendations on a consultant?

Looking at a wash with these published numbers:
Asking Price (business only) = $775,000
Gross Sales = $620,000
Cash Flow = $200,000

Recently renovated, but no details.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Thanks for your input Robert. Any recommendations on a consultant?

Looking at a wash with these published numbers:
Asking Price (business only) = $775,000
Gross Sales = $620,000
Cash Flow = $200,000

Recently renovated, but no details.
Send me a private e-mail on this site.