What's new

Bulk trash bags

Etowah

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I know that this has been discussed before because I remember Pat H. calling me a big titty baby, but I guess that was the old forum. There must be a better place to buy trash bags than Wal-Mart but I have not found it yet. Any suggestions? I'm a drawstring guy and a proud big titty baby! Thx

MEP001

Reaction score
Janitorial supply places, restaurant supply places, uniform supply places, online stores, hardware stores, Sam's Club, they're really not hard to find. If you're looking specifically for drawstring bags, you're pretty much limited to brand-name ones like Glad and Hefty which cost more and in my opinion aren't any better then the plain Sam's brand. I keep a box on hand for emergency use, like recently when someone backed up to our dumpster and filled it right after it was emptied (The driver won't relock it like he's supposed to). I had to bag most the trash for a week, piled as much as I could on top of the dumpster and threw in the rest after the next scheduled dump, and despite a lot of heavy and sharp stuff never had a bag break. I just grab two sides of the bag and tie them together in a knot, no wire ties or drawstring, really not a big deal.

Randy

Reaction score
No one uses Garbage Bags, at least no one I know. We dump the cans into the dumpster and when the dumpster gets full and it?s a few more days until garbage day and we need a little more room we use a shovel to pack it down, you can pack it down a lot with a shovel. A couple of times a year we have to call for a special pickup because some jerk has filled it with household garbage

Jim Caudill

Self Serve Operator
Reaction score
I use garbage bags as liners (Members Mark Brand from Sam's Club). I used to toss them every day, but now I've been dumping the cans and only change them when they get pretty ratty. For several years, I operated without liners (bags). I would dump the can, do a quick rinse, and put them back. I then though it was worth the 17cents or so to use a liner and just throw them away. I think I'm paying over 25cents each for the bags now, and I reuse them or throw them out based on what is in the can and, how much is in the can, and condition of the bag.

I can't stand to just dump the can and put it back; it smells and attracts insects, flies, and bees/hornets.

MEP001

Reaction score
Jim Caudill said:
I can't stand to just dump the can and put it back; it smells and attracts insects, flies, and bees/hornets.
I rinse at least one can every day, more if I come across one that's had milk or something with milk in the bottom. I keep a spare can in the equipment room and swap them one at a time to prevent some jackass from pulling up next to an empty receptacle and filling it with trash while I have the can out. Even with seven cans plus the extra, they're never excessively dirty, and it takes 30 seconds to clean one.

If I remember correctly, Jimmy Buffett has no dumpster. A lot of washes have to bag their trash and either haul it off or have city pick-up.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I also buy the Members Mark bags at Sams Club. They are the ones in the blue box. The price has gone up and I think I paid $18 per box, which equates to about $0.25 ea. We don't have a dumpster on site, so I'm mostly interested in a liner that will not tear when we are transporting the garbage to our dumpster at another location.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I don't have a dumpster onsite either, so using trash bags is the norm for me. The local schools run fundraisers selling trash bags, so I usually buy a bunch from them.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have a dumpster but my 78 year old dad spends his days here so it needs to be as easy as possible. I'd just like to buy them as cheaply as possible.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've used the ultra-cheap ones from janitorial and uniform supply places before. They're not a stretchy plastic like the ones from Sam's, and they puncture and rip very easily. They'd probably be fine if you line the can to keep them clean and lift the can to dump it, but if you try to pull it out with heavy or sharp stuff it'll tear open and spill everywhere. I've used the Sam's bags a lot and have never had one break. You really do get what you pay for.