What's new

Building Windshield Washer Fuild Dispensing Unit (Comments?)

bigleo48

Reaction score
All,

For a while now I've been thinking of building a windshield washer fluid dispensing unit. So a coin operated unit that could dispense WW fluid directly into cars or available jugs.

I have a cement monument I can install a 55 gallon tank in along with pump, solenoids, etc. On the outside a coinbox with the controls and a hose. I would also have a small locked trap door with a float valve connections to control the refill (as I won't be able to see inside the monument) and a fill hose mounted above the tank refill hole (high enough that you could not siphon the WW out).

Here is the diagram;

So if a customer wants to buy, then drive up to the monument, put the hose in the WW car reservoir or available jugs and drop in some coins. After a 5 second delay, a timed pumping of WW fluid (depending on amount purchased) into tank or jug.

What do you guys think?

BigLeo

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I think its awesome! I'm sketching up the same thing right now. Mine is not on nearly as grand a scale as yours(I'm using my old JC shampoo unit). When are you going to get this up and running?

Where is your refill tank going to be located?

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
I have thought about doing this but decided the price would have to be too high. Windshileld washer fluid is about $1.80/gallon here for -20F formula. I would want to price it at $3.00 or more per gallon to make it worth while. I just don't think I would sell much at this price. I have not priced it wholesale. Maybe it is a lot cheaper by the 55 gallon drum.

bigleo48

Reaction score
It's kinda cold...so I may not get it up and running until next winter...we'll see. I'll keep a refill tank if the mechanical room, but I don't think I'll need it since I'll have a company refill it a couple of times a year.

Mel, up here in the north, WW fluid sells for about $4 to $5 a gallon at a gas bar. Closer to $2.25 a gallon at Wal-Mart. I have a distributor who can deliver -30F WW fluid for about $2/gal. I plan on selling it for about $4 to $5 a gallon. What you have to remember is that we are not selling carwashing and products but convenience...and that comes at a premium. My angle is to sell what you need (like a buck's worth). A low price point and not a mostly empty jug in your trunk!

It won't be a big money maker, but I have most of the parts, so it won't cost me more than a few hundred bucks to build and install. However, I have found that all these little revenue centers add up at the end of the year. For example, I built my own air machine...and after a year it's almost paid for itself!

BigLeo

Last edited:

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Nice idea about the washer fluid. One thing I would suggest is since you're using an air pump you might want to use a gun type device at the customer end. This will do two things for you, one, the customer dictates when the fluid starts to flow (even if you start it 5 seconds after they insert the money), and two, you won't necessarily use 1 liter every time. Let's say 2/3 of a liter tops them off, so they let go of the gun and you keep that 1/3 of fluid in your tank and not on the ground.

(Maybe you were already going to do that and just didn't mention it. In case you didn't, this is a freebie for you. :p )

bigleo48

Reaction score
Jeff,

Yeah a trigger that would that would stop flow when depressed. However with a timed system (and not flow measurement), some could thing that you need to press the trigger to get flow and then not get what they paid for and so be upset. Just having a hose with no end on it would make it clear to the customer that it's coming out and will only stop when the complete amount has been dumped. Then maybe they'll think about grabbing a jug for the overflow. Lots of signage and some customer education would be required as usual.

So I rather dump some excess on the ground than not deliver it. Then I can blame the customer for not having a jug ready (kinda like my fragrance dispenser).

I'll need to think about that one some more. I like the idea, but making it idiot proof is the hard part.

MEP001

Reaction score
You could use a flow-actuated switch and a valve at the customer end so the time won't run down if they aren't dispensing, but still have it time out if they don't use it up in a minute or two. That will also require some education but you won't waste any fluid.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
If you go the "you get a liter, like it or not" You might consider using the trigger hose, but fill a liter container, ahead of time and then they can "fetch" it when they are ready. Then you don't need to worry about timing.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Good points, and education would definitely be needed. Maybe another way to go at this is to figure out how much a liter costs you, which would include the tough to measure costs such as utilities and such. If the margin is acceptable for you to dump a liter every time, even if it spills, then go for it.

Or put it in so it dumps a liter, and if you start getting complaints about the overflow, then incorporate a trigger switch.

Lastly, you could get even more complex and have an electronic sign stating you have X amount of fluid left and X amount of time to use it in. However, that would just get cost prohibitive.