What's new

Building an air machine.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Waxman,

If you have a compressor nearby, I would just build one. I build mine out of spare parts I had lying around, along with a coinbox and locks I got from KR. It cost me about $500 if I purchased everything (minus the compressor). This was my parts list;

-Coinbox & Locks
-Coin Mech
-Timer
-Solonoid
-24Vac PS
-Pressure & ball valve
-Hose, end and misc pieces.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Waxman,

If you have a compressor nearby, I would just build one. I build mine out of spare parts I had lying around, along with a coinbox and locks I got from KR. It cost me about $500 if I purchased everything (minus the compressor). This was my parts list;

-Coinbox & Locks
-Coin Mech
-Timer
-Solonoid
-24Vac PS
-Pressure & ball valve
-Hose, end and misc pieces.

BigLeo,

Have you ever had problems with freeze ups at the nozzle during a severe winter?

Hopefully, within a few weeks we will be dispensing air with a Cox Hose Reel on the inside of our building. The reel has a very smooth steady retraction rate ... which we are banking on for keeping the hose automatic roll up a neater process. Also by having less hose on the outside ... it seems like frost within the hose & even at the nozzle will be less likely during our frequently below freezing outside temperatures.

mike from north dakota

bigleo48

Reaction score
I added a water separator, so I don't get much water making it into the hose.

What you can also do is add an automatic oiler (like you would for tools) and fill it with antifreeze. That was a drop or two will enter the hose every time its used. That should keep it from freezing at the tip.

Some air machine around here have a sign saying "if frozen, put end into the tailpipe of the car for 30 seconds".

Last edited:

chaz

Reaction score
If you have a vac close to the building, you can run an air feed to the vac. A kip solenoid and toggle switch lets the customer switch between air and vac. Same timer, coin box,and price as vac.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Just curious what kind of income is generated from vending air? My guess is not enough to justify purchasing and maintaining a $2k unit; $500 is a bargain but still an expense.

We eliminated the coin box several years ago and use free air as a promo. Some days it may get 20 visits. I don't think I could afford the equivalent amount of advertising word of mouth has resulted in. It's been well worth sacrificing the few quarters we ever collected previously.
Not many places offer free air anymore. This will certainly best you apart and create a buzz.

MC

chaz

Reaction score
I really don't calculate my air sales vs the vac, as it's a shared income generator. My customers can use air and finish with vac. I agree a free standing air machine is pricey. Mine is fed with my house air compressor and shares timer, etc with the vac.

I did consider the free air line running off my main compressor, I guess thus could work with a push to start and a timer. My concern if there is not a solenoid to regulate the air, there could be an issue if the hose is cut, or air valve is broken or taken.....that is air running non stop and causing loss of air pressure.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
?..add an automatic oiler (like you would for tools) and fill it with antifreeze. That was a drop or two will enter the hose every time its used. That should keep it from freezing at the tip.
Now that's smart!

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I added a water separator, so I don't get much water making it into the hose.

What you can also do is add an automatic oiler (like you would for tools) and fill it with antifreeze. That was a drop or two will enter the hose every time its used. That should keep it from freezing at the tip.

Some air machine around here have a sign saying "if frozen, put end into the tailpipe of the car for 30 seconds".

I wonder if this oiler would be good enough for this purpose: http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Inline-Air-Tool-Oiler/dp/B004JBF55Q I suppose full strength anti freeze would make sense since water might go by. I suppose Polypropylene RV Antifreeze would be safer for pets in case they would lick on the nozzle??? Maybe filling the oiler with windshield washer fluid would work also???

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

Etowah

bigleo48

Reaction score
That looks like the one I use.

WW Fluid would be too weak.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I use Nu Scents concentrate air freshener. In the summer I mix with water, come Oct. 1, I use windsheild deicer rated to -20. Seems to do the job.

pgrzes

Reaction score
How about put methanol in the oiler? Its a great deicer, and many of you allready have it for winter soap. Only concern would be flamability. I was thinking of using it for my fragrance vacs, but was concerned about someone using them while smoking!!! But if you are only injecting a tiny amount into a line that only has flow while on a schrader valve it should not be a concern.