What's new

Bug remover in self serve bay

sparkey

Reaction score
1. Does anyone offer bug remover in their self serve bay as a timed function?

2. Does this stuff work much better then High PH presoak?

3. Does it get used much?

4. How does it compare in cost to presoak? I picture people spraying their entire car with bug remover like they do my tire cleaner thinking it cleans better then presoak.

CCAR

Reaction score
1. Does anyone offer bug remover in their self serve bay as a timed function?

2. Does this stuff work much better then High PH presoak?

3. Does it get used much?

4. How does it compare in cost to presoak? I picture people spraying their entire car with bug remover like they do my tire cleaner thinking it cleans better then presoak.
I'm interested in all of your questions, I hope someone will answer. I can tell you that I'm using my presoak at 36/1 just to get it to work on bugs. Normally I can run it at 90/1 and it works great at that level if bugs are not present (winter and spring). I have tried a lot of presoaks and have had similar results with the above settings. It seems to be too expensive doing it this way where a separate function would allow more options for the user and owner. I cannot find any product that works any better than any other one. Using the newer formulas with the newer surfactants seem to work the best. I have people using tire cleaner as a presoak as well and this works too,unfortunately it's the highest priced to use so less profit for me. Thanks, CCAR

Reaction score
I'm interested in all of your questions, I hope someone will answer. I can tell you that I'm using my presoak at 36/1 just to get it to work on bugs. Normally I can run it at 90/1 and it works great at that level if bugs are not present (winter and spring). I have tried a lot of presoaks and have had similar results with the above settings. It seems to be too expensive doing it this way where a separate function would allow more options for the user and owner. I cannot find any product that works any better than any other one. Using the newer formulas with the newer surfactants seem to work the best. I have people using tire cleaner as a presoak as well and this works too,unfortunately it's the highest priced to use so less profit for me. Thanks, CCAR
They do have timers that will allow you to offer a premium product in the bays and it will recalculate the time so you can charge more for cretain things.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I've been offering Bug-Remover option for a few years now. I use BugSaw from JBS. It works well and is relatively inexpensive. In the winter I change it to "Salt-Remover" which is a neutral presoak.

Both do OK. Since I have 10 options on my board and the pump bench, I needed to put something. Beyond sales, it gives me something my competitors do no have.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
I use Blendco bug remover in all my SS bays, it is an option same as tire cleaner, and yes it does work and gets used alot.

Also use the bug remover as a pre-soak in both automatics ( W/W )have been for several years and find it to work better than the std. presoak.

Have not put alot of time into looking at the differance in prices, more concerned with getting the cleanest car and keeping customers happy.

Just my experience sure others have different opinions.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Here in the mid-west we've had consistent temps between 95 and 109 almost all summer.
Does the bug spray that's been mention here dull or mar the front end of cars.
At my tunnel we pre-prep the front ends to cool it down before we apply the bug spray.
But we've had customers come in and show use what had happen at other tunnels and were concern about ours until we showed they how we apply it.
We have not had any issues.
I don't think the customers at my self servs would do this even if I had signage.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Most quality bug removers contain buffers and other ingredients that make it much safer to use than a straight strong alkaline/high pH product for bug removal.

DavidM

Reaction score
We offer bug remover at one location and will be adding it at another. It does get used alot in the summer. It important to use a good quality product. We no longer have problems with dulling the finish on vehicles at our tunnel or in our self serve bays. That was a problem we solved years ago by switching products.

David

Last edited:

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
David what was the product that you switched too?
How did you display it on your coin box?
I have the "circle" displays on my 8 function lexon display with the functions already on it.
I was thinking of changing the engine cleaner function to bug remover but not sure how to change the lexon circle display.

DavidM

Reaction score
I have used both Blendco and QualChem bug removers and they work very well.

If you have the small circle decals you can get circles that say Bug Remover from Kleen-Rite.