What's new

Bug Remover in Self Serve Bay

softsuds

Reaction score
Dont see much info on bug remover. I think it would be a good idea, what am I missing ?

Any chemicals that work better than others ?

Thanks

CCAR

Reaction score
The only thing that I have found that works is to keep going to a larger hole tip (more concentrated) in your hydrominder until the bugs come off. In my wash my pre-soak works fine at 120/1 but does nothing on the bugs, however at 48/1 it works great on the bugs. Check with your supplier to see if it's okay to run your presoak that concentrated,you don't want to ruin a paint job. It's more expensive that way but I have tried alot of presoaks and have found that for my wash they all work similar at that rate. I'm like you is there one out there that works at normal rates? I have seen a bug remover advertised on some web sites, Scotch Plaid has one. I have not tried any as I do not have a separate function switch. CCAR

MEP001

Reaction score
CCAR, I wonder if you could achieve the same result at a lesser cost by mixing presoak and bug remover together and running the mix with maybe a 74:1 tip during the bug season.

We use mostly Scotch Plaid products, but for every function I have to mix two of their products to get the result I want.

briteauto

Reaction score
This product is a detailing product, but works extremely well in a ss bay at 128:1 - 64:1.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Car_Wash_Bug_and_Tar_Remover_p/cws_104.htm

Of course, at $18 per gallon, it is pricey, but you can get a savings with a bulk shipment. Also, it is a seasonal product, so you don't have to run it all year long.

This is very concentrated and can be diluted down to suit your needs. Like I said, 1-2 oz. per gallon and 30 seconds of dwell and the bugs come off with the hp and/or foam brush. It will actually remove tar at full strength and will not damage the finish, so you can see its potential.

This is safe and is not D.O.T. regulated, so no concerns there. I wouldn't dip my hands in the concentrate, but there is no corrosive shipping or handling labels. It is certainly safe in the concentration that goes out to your bays.

I never thought of mixing products (don't know if contamination would occur), but you might be able to mix this with your current presoak, like MEP001 said.

Mike

CCAR

Reaction score
CCAR, I wonder if you could achieve the same result at a lesser cost by mixing presoak and bug remover together and running the mix with maybe a 74:1 tip during the bug season.

We use mostly Scotch Plaid products, but for every function I have to mix two of their products to get the result I want.
I actually have a call into Scotch Plaid to talk to their chemist as to what I can do to acheive better results in this area. I have mixed some together before with fairly good results, just don't like playing chemist and the hassle of doing it. What really seems to work is to spike your presoak with an alkaline booster, however you have to be careful so you don't add to much and ruin a paint job. Almost all Scotch Plaids Chemicals are buffered so you won't have that effect, most boosters aren't thats why they have such a kick to them. CCAR