What's new

Bucket washers and dry brushers!!!

pgrzes

Reaction score
I have a 45 yr old wash, I have owned for 9 years, I still have not found a good way to deal with "CHEAPSKATES". Just had a killer weekend, after a week of sub zero temps and frozen lines, as we started getting busy and opening up bays cars waiting everywhere, some regulars want to bucket wash, I ask politely not this weekend and they get all hissy, IVE BEEN COMING HERE FOR 25 YEARS, Im going somewhere else!!! well no one is going to allow buckets this weekend, nice knowing you!!! I have 7 bays so generally if people come in on slow times im not really to worried about it, But I have been upgrading equipment ,and building so it is beginning to bother me more. Should I just kick them to the curb, or let them be????? when its slow I like the presence of cars, I would think general rule of thumb, they would respect my business. Dry brushers **** me off even more!!! Got into a shoving match with one on Sat. eve. was such a good weekend, ruined by a few people!!!!!:mad:

TurboJet

Reaction score
I have signs on my property - "No Hand or Bucket Washing during daylight hours".

I figure this is somewhat of a compromise. During the day respect my business, at night when there are no line ups I am OK with it.

After that you have to just enforce it, otherwise they won't take it seriously and everyone thinks its the norm. If they complain, I tell them what do you do when you go to a restaurant? Show up, bring your own food and wine and take up a booth all night? No. Same with a SS bay - your renting it by the minute not occupying it by the minute.

I am planning on going to wobblehead brushes this year. I'm sick of these guys dry washing as well, and waiting for some weepmizer water. Then they go spend $4 on a coffee.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Quick story. In the days of full serve gas guy asks to have oil checked. He is told he needs a quart so he goes to the trunk, pulls out a quart and asks the attendant to put it in. Attendant says "we only put in Oil Purchased here". Guy says "But I bought Gas". Attendant says "Would you go the restaurant, buy a cup of coffee and hand them 2 egss and ask them to cook the eggs for you because you bought coffee?" Customer says "You sell eggs here?"

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
some regulars want to bucket wash, I ask politely not this weekend and they get all hissy, IVE BEEN COMING HERE FOR 25 YEARS
The issue that I think most customers would have is that you are deciding to ask them to change their washing habits because you are busy when you have not enforced this policy. "Kicking them to the curb" is not going to help you retain your customer base. If you are going to eliminate bucket washing then do it all the time or not at all. Your customers should never be left wondering if they can or can't do something based upon a vague variable such as how busy you are, or the weather. TurboJet's idea of "no...during daylight hours" would be one viable solution as it has a definate guideline to be followed; it is either daylight or not.

slash007

Reaction score
The issue that I think most customers would have is that you are deciding to ask them to change their washing habits because you are busy when you have not enforced this policy. "Kicking them to the curb" is not going to help you retain your customer base. If you are going to eliminate bucket washing then do it all the time or not at all. Your customers should never be left wondering if they can or can't do something based upon a vague variable such as how busy you are, or the weather. TurboJet's idea of "no...during daylight hours" would be one viable solution as it has a definate guideline to be followed; it is either daylight or not.
Not sure I agree with that. I have no problem with regulars bucket washing during slow times, and it is reasonable to expect them to not do it when there are people waiting or we are busy. I never say anything most days, but when all bays are full or people are in line, I politely tell them that they can bucket wash all they want as long as the meter is running. I do get many that get mad, and I just tell them that they can bucket wash all they want on slow days, but on busy days they are basically stealing from me and not respecting the time of the people behind them. If they don't want to come back because of that, then that is their problem. It's a simple matter of using common sense and having respect for the business and for others.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm starting to see that it might not be right to not let customers choose when it's okay to bucket wash. I've had more than a few repeat bucket washers after I've asked them not to do it when it's busy. One guy copped an attitude with me the THIRD time I caught him bucket washing while people were waiting on a bay and said "I'm still going to rinse it!" Even after I told him again that it's stealing to tie up a bay without having the timer running and making others wait, he just didn't get it and said he'd never come back. (He does, but still never spends more than $2.)

I've also noticed that the people who bucket wash also tend to dry in the bay. That means for the $2-3 they spend they can easily cost $20 in revenue.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
MEP just treaspast him expecially attiute problems and you asked him politely 3 different times. I have signs no bucket washing. I tell people what's the point of coming to a Carwash if you can bucket wash at home.

soapy

Reaction score
I just watched a fellow at my wash bring in his own soap and brush and scrub his car down. Then he went to use the weep water to rinse his car. The temperature is 3 degrees right now and some how the weep water got turned off just at the time he was going to use it. He had to drive off with frozen soap all over his car.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think this is just a venting thread as I had a really busy weekend, one that I have not had in several years. I know we all have the same issues, we have signs up and people just dont care or respect our business. I just installed a rebuilt pump stand, and am spending $$ on other upgrades, I will just enforce bucket washing and not allow it, dont like it, go elsewhere. wobble head brushes will be on the bucket list. Its the attitude you get when you ask nicely not to do it they look at you like you have 3 heads!!! short on bays, lines everywhere and they want to sit and waste your space. its really frustrating.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
I do get many that get mad, and I just tell them that they can bucket wash all they want on slow days, but on busy days they are basically stealing from me and not respecting the time of the people behind them.
On slow days your customer is technically stealing from you as well; you just choose not to say anything. Enforcing a policy all the time or not at all will create consistency which customers want.

I full appreciate that a SS bay only generates revenue when occupied and the meter is running. Letting customers occupy without the meter running at any time (within reason) tells them what they are doing is acceptable and will be tolerated and becomes part of their washing experience. They may return because your wash allows this "during slow times" and will feel a sence of entitlement for the $5-$7 they spend when they try and do the same on a day where you are busy.

Ever been to a busy restauraunt on a friday night where they tell you to get out immediately after you meal because you aren't still ordering? They maintain consistancy regardless of how busy they are. That table is not generating revenue as long as you are still occupying it. No different than a wash bay.

The point I am trying to make here is that it doesn't matter which side of the fence you are on about bucket washing (and I know almost all are against it), pick a policy and enforce it and be consistent about it. Customers will either choose to wash with you or not. Better to lose a few that way than to have stories about the "jerk at the carwash who told me not to come back" (not saying anyone here is actually a jerk.. lol)

Last edited:
Etowah

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
The bucket buffoons always come back no matter how many times you ask them to leave because they are picky and like a good wash. I have found that most of them are not just cheap - they are just picky about how they wash their car, and self centered to the point that they believe they are doing things right.
Of course, some are just cheapskates. If you have a 2 function timer, a push button in the equipment room could change the price on those and drywall guys, mudders, greasers, and trashies. It would be fun to make a quarter worth 1/4 of the time just for those guys. You could always post a 1" by 1" sign somewhere so you aren't doing anything unethical:)

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I let em go ahead and bucket wash. Maybe the minority opinion here but too much of a pita to police every one and some who do it are so darn elderly or otherwise kind and buying detail services etc later.

I kind of feel that i need to choose my battles and i choose the darwinian approach; let the customers police it themselves. too much hassle/opportunity to bend rule when it's not busy or it's someone i know/like/feel sorry for.

just being candid

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I have no clue why you guys hate Bucket washers, most of mine are extremely picky about their car, yes a few are inconsiderate, and i might say( could you speed it up someone is waiting), but generally i have enough bays at a 6 or 9 bay so no big deal. Bucket washers i think generally make my wash look good, super clean car +very little money spent. Please skip the clunky Wobblehead and buy a nicely colored handle- Made by the Hamels(Hamel MFG)-- an awesome couple- for only $10. It must take 10 years or more to recoupe the $150 handle I have even kept brushing my car with excess foam instead of throwing more coins in, because i am on the opposite side of the car. If i start to worry about someone brushing without paying. I hope the wife sends me to the old car wash owners rest home . If you need to control every aspect of a persons wash habits --the problem may be you.. No two people that come to my wash clean the same way, and it doesn't matter to me if they spend $2 and gone in 5 min, or spend $2 and linger for 30 min. I am with the Waxman on this one

slash007

Reaction score
While I have had a few complainers, it is rarely busy to the point that bucket washing bothers me, so I let the regulars take their time and then when it is busy I tell people to put money in the bay. Most understand and don't complain, I don't think it is a big deal to let them bucket wash within reason most of the time and then when you have a line ask them to not do it.

Randy

Reaction score
I’m going to have to side with Waxman, North Dakota John, and Sami on the bucket washers issue. Bucket washers don’t bother me and I’m not going to hang out at the car wash and play “Bucket washer policeman” during the day or on the weekends. We normally get to the car wash about 05:30 and we are usually gone by 08:00. I don’t know if we have regular customers or not because we don’t hang out at the car wash. Hanging out at the car wash has to be one of the most borrrring things there is to do.

MEP001

Reaction score
I have no clue why you guys hate Bucket washers
I don't hate bucket washers, in fact I set the foam brush output a little on the heavy side after noticing a lot of customers like to let the time run out and keep scrubbing with the foam they already got. The bucket washers I feel we can't allow are the ones that spend the bare minimum while tying up a bay for a half hour. Yes, some of them hand wash because they want to take better care of their cars, but the ones that cause a scene when they're asked not to do it are the tightwads that don't even think they're doing something wrong.

"The customer is always right," but there's no law that says you have to let them be your customer.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I'll play devils advocate here...

Unless you're a jerk and policing the bucket washers constantly, you'll be hard pressed to change the habit. The question to ask is, "Why are they bucket washing?". Are they cheapskates? Maybe, but maybe not. They obviously care a lot about their car that they're willing to spend the few bucks to buy the soaps, brushes, towels, etc to clean their car. Maybe they don't have a driveway where they live, have you ever driven in an area of high density housing? How many vehicles do you count that are cam aeros, mustangs, etc? Perhaps they're coming to your bay because they don't have access to a hose or don't want to drag it out.

If you really want to change the bucket washing mentality, then change the way you charge your customer base. Such as, some type of barrier in front of your lot that only allows a customer in after paying by credit card, and continues to charge until they pull out. Just a thought.

One more thought, if you had a monthly program to wash all you want, would your perspective on bucket washers change? I would think so, they'd now all of a sudden be a very profitable customer.

chaz

Reaction score
Problem is the guy that activates the wash then bucket washes and then rinses with a second activation makes me no money during the bucket washing time. My policy, customers must exit the bay when timer stops and others are waiting. Most customers respect this some even bucket wash with the meter running. On busy days you bet I am at the wash, it's not boring, and my presence directing traffic etc, helps keep the cash flowing. Just this past weekend, I had a customer blocking a bay and vac while he detailed the inside. He got mad and Said he's not coming back, fine with me. But then he ended out pulling into the bay and spending 6$. Nice.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I have no clue why you guys hate Bucket washers, most of mine are extremely picky about their car, yes a few are inconsiderate, and i might say( could you speed it up someone is waiting), but generally i have enough bays at a 6 or 9 bay so no big deal.
Whale & others,

That tends to be the way we handle it. Just to add something, some of us "north of the Dixie-Mason line" have overhead doors & when the streets are cleaner because the slush has frozen ... we get busier during the prime daylight hours. So there is the indoor towel drying potential abuse.

Recently, we very much improved our hand blodry which helps so the customer more likely actually uses increased meter time . Also, we as part of a PLC program ... we make our blodry led advert lettering sign in the bay to go off 6 minutes after the meter stops. Now when the argument comes up ... "I just got done washing :mad:" ... we calmly let them know that it has been at least 6 minutes because the blodry sign timing:) is accurate. Most of the time, they do not want to be unreasonable & will respond in a decent way.

After dark, the PLC program (after 5 minutes) puts our brand new G&G LEDs in their perfectly spaced 1/3- 2 amp mode vs the full lighting 6 amp mode. If there is a line after dark ... that is also a subtle encouragement that seems to help a lot. We close at 10 PM with no lights on ... but we still get our unpredictable lull periods ... so the added benefit of lower electricity bill is helpful. There is still enough light to still be attractive ... & our new programmable marquee tricolor led sign in front jazzes up the attractiveness also.

Mike Walsh www.kingkoin.com