What's new

Boom tilt Issue

wisheewashee

Reaction score
Hey folks. Little issue with my 1.0. The boom tilt is only halfway working. For instance when you open the gantry door and push the boom tilt button forward, it will go forward but not back down again when you release the button. Same with tilting back. I am guessing this is an air solenoid problem? I have tried taking a screwdriver and turning the red screw on the solenoid which does make it tilt, but when turning the screw back will not release back down. Thoughts?

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
your solinoid is not exhausting the air for some reason. adjust the air pressure up and adjust the exhaust outlet to slow things down or speed up the return to vertical

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
Hey folks. Little issue with my 1.0. The boom tilt is only halfway working. For instance when you open the gantry door and push the boom tilt button forward, it will go forward but not back down again when you release the button. Same with tilting back. I am guessing this is an air solenoid problem? I have tried taking a screwdriver and turning the red screw on the solenoid which does make it tilt, but when turning the screw back will not release back down. Thoughts?
First off I would clean the solenoids by removing the coil and unscrewing the top of the valve, watch out for the small spring and needle dont loose them,clean the needle and top inside and make sure the needle works freely in the tube top, then turn the air on slowly with the valve apart to blow out any dirt and reassemble. do both solenoids on that block....
Then adjust the air pressure to get the boom to rotate forward to its limits, then adjust the air pressure to rotate back to its limits.
I am not sure about this I am not around the machine but I think the red screw you are adjusting is the exhaust flow, open it all the way and see if this helps with the boom returning to vertical. if it comes back to fast it will swing and hit the gantry when returning home. I'll check next week to make sure on the exhaust . Hope this helps.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
After rethinking about the red screw,,,it might be for a safety exhaust release to be able to manually exhaust the pressure from a power failure????
Like I said I will check next week

wisheewashee

Reaction score
Actually that little red screrw is really a "secret" from Coleman that they don't want operators to know about. For instance if you wanted to adjust your boom tilt, you would generally need 2 people. One to push the button on the gantry while the other adjusts the pressure. This little red screw will turn the boom for you instead of having to push the button in the gantry. A long time ago, Samuel said that people can really screw up the solenoid if they mess with it too much

Etowah