What's new

Blasto-dry dryers

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
I installed the blasto-dry units in my 3 single busiest bays the other day. They are working great. 5 minutes after I powered them up, I had a customer use one. I also showed a motorcycle driver them before he washed and he ended up doing an extra $3 cycle just using the dryer. He then went out of his way to thank me for showing them to him and to sy how great they were.
I think the units are great. I may install hour meters to see hour much they are being used. If all goes well I will install more in the rest of my bays.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Keep us posted on the useage.
I've been wanting to put them in too but have been hesitant because of the cost.

mac

Reaction score
I've had pretty good feedback from these units and similar ones. Most people like them.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
It sounds like these are going over pretty well. Did you get them from the mfg. directly or a distributor? What did they run you per unit?

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
I got them straght from Blasto-dry. I ordered the Mosmatic booms from KR.
I probably could have gotton everything from Blasto-dry.
For pricing I suggest you call Mike Doyle.
Got them direct because KR does not sell them, they sell the other one's.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I've had them for a couple of years now. Motorcycles like them, but cars less. The reasons span from time to dry a car and not waxing first. A small car can take 3 to 5 minutes (especially if they want it bone dry). So if you calculate the avg cost of between 60-90 cents a minute up here...spot free rinse is they way they go as they can do that in 30 seconds. To make the concept work you'd need your coinbox to charge less for that option.

One thing to remember is that these things draw a fair bit of power...(like a three motor vac), so about 30 amps/per bay. Coincarwash...you mentioned you had 12 bays in a past post...so that's a wopping 360 amps if you have one in each bay and everyone was using them at the same time. I know that's not likely, but still possible, so to conform to code, you'll need to likely upgrade your electrical service and transformer!

BigLeo

BigLeo

mike_d

Mfr - S/S In-Bay Dryers
Reaction score
Big Leo,

Do you have Blasto-Dry brand dryers? Please clarify your post. Blasto-Dry units feature an air knife nozzle which is more effective - drier vehicle panels ("bone dry" - if you please) - that is more pleasing to "car" customers. We also receive many comments from our Blasto-Dry owner/operators about the enthusiastic response from their motorcycle customers. The air knife is also more efficient so we build the units with two blowers instead of three - resulting lower power requirements.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Big Leo, I can't see why the power would be an issue. If they are on the meter box dial the HP pump and the dryer can't be used at the same time. It should just about be a "wash" shouldn't it?

MEP001

Reaction score
I.B. Washincars said:
Big Leo, I can't see why the power would be an issue. If they are on the meter box dial the HP pump and the dryer can't be used at the same time. It should just about be a "wash" shouldn't it?
He was adding up 30 amps per dryer per bay - it's unlikely they would all ever be running at once, but some areas require that the electrical supply be ample (no pun intended) in case that happens. Running them on 240 volts would of course drop the amperage requirements in half.

madscientist

Reaction score
i've had blasto-dry units in operation for 3 or 4 months now. on a car, they work well without wax, but it's obviously best to use wax first. it does take some time to dry the vehicle, more than just a superfical spot free rinse. a thorough sf rinse, for the people that like a spot free car takes a little more time, as does drying by hand. some of the people that do all that, actually save time by using the in-bay dryers. some still prefer the ol' hand dry method. the dryers get a lot of usage on cars and motorcycles. i can't say that all 6 have been used at once, but it's the slow season. i have been pleasantly surprised by the response, so far. i thought the first few weeks were just people trying it out, so i expected a drop off in usage. it hasn't happened yet.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
He was adding up 30 amps per dryer per bay - it's unlikely they would all ever be running at once, but some areas require that the electrical supply be ample (no pun intended) in case that happens. Running them on 240 volts would of course drop the amperage requirements in half.
I understand that you need to figure the possibilty that all dryers could run at the same time, but would they pull a lot more than all 12 HP pumps running at the same time? What do the dryers actually pull, 22-23 amps??? Do you actually have to provide service for the pumps and dryers to run at the same time even though they can't? I don't really profess to know much about electricity, just want to know more.

MEP001

Reaction score
I.B. Washincars said:
I understand that you need to figure the possibilty that all dryers could run at the same time, but would they pull a lot more than all 12 HP pumps running at the same time?
A 5 HP 3-phase bay motor pulls 13 amps at full load, which it doesn't come close to at the normal 1200 PSI. The start-up surge is minimal compared to three high-flow vac motors that can pull 100 amps together at start-up, and will likely draw a full 30 amps all the time on 110V. They aren't standard vac motors and do have more current draw.

Etowah