What's new

Bill Acceptor

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
I am having a problem with one of my bill acceptors and I am close to burning the thing while I dance around it! It is a CoinCo acceptor. The problem is the bill is not fully seating in the cashbox which causes the next bill to not be accepted, shutting down the machine. The bottom half inch or so of the bill is still sticking out of the cashbox. The machine doesnt actually shutdown, but the next bill can only go in about half way, I guess it is hitting the stuck bill, and then is spit back out. Not every bill gets stuck, but this does happen a few times a day. I thought the pressure from the springs in the cash box was causing this so I put small zip ties on a few of the coils, which seemed to work for a week, but still having problems now. Any ideas? Besides buying a Mars. I didnt buy this one but if I had...

Henry

Reaction score
I've had this happen before. The problem is not with the spring tension, it's dirty rollers and belts that pull the bill up into position to be inserted into the bill box. Most likely the belts. Bill acceptors pull in bills with all kinds of crud on them. Ever get greasy bills from some guy degreasing an old transmission or something similar.

Remove the bill acceptor. There's a frame that houses the belts that will snap off. Clean them good with some alcohol, put it back together and you'll be good to go. Also clean the rollers that pull the bill in. And it wouldn't hurt to clean the magnetic head reader while you're at it. It too can get gunked up and cause bills to be rejected. And ..... blow it all out really good with an air hose while you're at it. Hope this helps.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Henry, good advice, it is probably the belts & rollers. But I agree with Bill - the alcohol will dry out the belts.
Consider just replacing the belts/rollers.

galen

Reaction score
Leave the belts alone and clean just the rollers with alcohol. The way I do it is, I clean one roller then take a swig, clean the next roller then another swig, and so on. Don't use rubbing alcohol, its hard on the throat.

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
Being that we are in west texas, I am no stranger to dirty bill acceptors. I routinely take the acceptors apart in order to clean the dirt out. I have seen the belts become greasy before but not lately. I am starting to wonder about the tension of the belts, it is a busy machine. I just have never had to replace a worn out belt in our other and older machines. This one is only a year old.