What's new

Best Unloader/Pressure Regulator

copperglobe

Reaction score
I've been in the business twenty two years and have used Para Plate BR5-2 regulators in my SS bays for that entire time. Recently there were threads that talked about how Para Plate guns were going cheap and not lasting with leaks and such. I've experienced the gun problem and won't use them again. Now my Para Plate regulators aren't lasting anywhere near the hours they used to and I'm wondering if they are following the gun scenario of going cheap. They start to leak, suck air after only a few months use where they used to last two, three years or more.

My question: what is the best regulator/unloader for the SS bay?

Thanks

ProCarWashes

Reaction score
I've been using BR5-2 unloaders on my weep gun's for 23 years. With no problems. Just rebuild them every 4 or 5 years and they keep working. :confused:

copperglobe

Reaction score
That's exactly what I've been doing. However, recently they just aren't lasting like they used to. I haven't changed one thing during the rebuild. The only thing that I can think of is that Para Plate has a different vendor for the "O" rings? That's what they did with their guns.

MEP001

Reaction score
The housing is brass and may be eroded where it can't seal anymore. I've rebuilt them before, but the rebuild never seems to last long. I just replace them with new Paraplates and I don't have to worry about it for another five years.

MEP001

Reaction score
Seems like everything is going that way.

I just noticed the other day that three of the six Paraplates are original (Six years old). I just put a new one on the RO pump last night - those tend to last two years because they take such a beating from the Cat 390. I tried to put a kit in the old one that was leaking but the back-up ring in the kit was completely the wrong size. I reused the old one because it didn't look bad, but it was leaking again the next day.