What's new

Best High Speed IBA Doors

UWash

Reaction score
I'm considering replacing the doors on my IBA and was wondering what type of high speed rollup door brand is best and if electric or air is best. Our wash is in a cold northeastern climate in New York.

Reaction score
I'm considering replacing the doors on my IBA and was wondering what type of high speed rollup door brand is best and if electric or air is best. Our wash is in a cold northeastern climate in New York.
I like the Air Lift XRS doors. We put a set of test doors on our company wash to try them, they work great. The best part is if both doors are down and something goes wrong they can pull the rope and the door goes up no cranking till your arms fall off. Message me if you would like

UWash

Reaction score
Do you currently have doors? What don't you like about what you currently have?

Just curious...
We currently have older Airlift doors with the older style aluminum frame and poly type clear glass. The door system is just not dependable any longer and we need to upgrade.

I have heard good and bad about the canvas type highspeed rollup doors but have been told that they may not work good in the windy, icey and snow conditions of western New York, so we are looking to see what is available.

Also was wondering about the price with installation

Thanks

Buzzie8

Reaction score
There is one company that you definitely should not consider. PM if you want the information.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
UWash, I'm in the Southern Tier of NY and have both the Airlift Alaska Series doors and Goff Rollup doors. I prefer the Airlift style, but the one bay where we have the rollup door was too short to fit the doors on the inside. At the time we purchased the Goff doors, Airlift hadnt come out with their XRS rollup version or I probably would have purchased that brand.

The Goff G2 Harsh Guard curtains didnt make it through the first winter. Both curtains failed at the sewn seams on the coldest days. Goff did replace the curtains, after some back and forth discussion and I am cautiously optimistic that these new ones will make it through the coming winter. I met with Goff at the ICA show in Vegas in May and they showed me their new design curtain which appears to have addressed the areas of the sewn seams where we experienced the failures. Unfortunatley we didnt get that new design curtain as the warranty replacement, so I am concerned that we will experience the same problems this winter.

These things arent cheap, by any stretch. I think I paid over $6K for each door which is pretty ridiculous when you look at what they are (two 10' aluminum tracks, a small motor / gearbox unit, a roll up frame with a vinyl curtain.) If they have a $1K in materials, I'd be surprised. If these Goff units dont make it through this winter, I'll be looking to make a change, although spending another $12K for doors to replace 2yr old units is not something I want to do.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It seems pretty nuts to me that anyone would spend over $6k for a fabric door with aluminum frame that cannot withstand one winter season!

Where's the upside here? I don't see one. Sounds like an inferior, over-priced product or maybe just the wrong application. However, it sounds as though the mfg. is marketing these to harsh climates.

What gives???

pitzerwm

Reaction score
ScottV, is there a way that you could add riviets or some other re-engineering of the Goff doors. Many items I have bought, I end up re-engineering to make them work better. Since you have spend the money, you might as well do whatever possible to salvage the investment.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Bill, I'm certainly going to try if these replacement curtains fail this winter. The problem seemed to be at the sewn seam of the clear vinyl panel to the colored vinyl. That was where the rips occurred. Once the rips started they propogated every time the door was cycled. I give Goff a lot of credit for standing behind their product and sending me new curtains.

In their new design they have eliminated the sewn seams and are using some sort of poly pinch strip that connects the panels together. Seems much more robust at least in theory, although there is nothing like a harsh NE winter to test out products like that to their extreme limits!

1gr8-wash

Reaction score
from hamilton cananda

We installed the air lift doors last year and they work great in our winters here , no problems at all and they work smoothly in winter and summer.
i would buy them againu

gearhead

Reaction score
Looking at doors

Has anyone else had any experience with the XRS doors? I noticed nobody has mentioned the Wynd Star Doors. Can anyone comment on them?

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I installed the XRS doors just before winter last year. I love them. My automatic no longer weeps water all winter long and they are FAST! I don't think you could floor it from the ACW from the time they start up and hit them. They have photo eyes so they won't come down on a car and they have 2 grease points. They are expensive, but in my situation where I had no doors at all, they will pay for themselves in no time. I insulated the ceiling above that bay and with the doors and the floor heat running, it stays nice and warm in the bay. The doors seem to be made of some pretty rugged material and are easy to just wipe down to clean. I had a window strip on mine and then had vinyl lettering put in that pane that says "car wash open". I would for sure buy them again.

Thanks,
Lighthouse.

bruno

Reaction score
air lift xrs sucks

I have air lift xrs door. Motor went out at a year. They have a new motors now cost $2000 to upgrade. Think in sucks they don't stand behind their product. My installer has put in 10 doors all 10 motor have gone out with in a year.