What's new

Bay and Parking lot Lighting Question

Wet Spot

Reaction score
I know this has been covered in some of the recent threads that have been posted, and I'm still a bit clueless in what application I need to change to. The following is what I have:

Self Service 4 bay with four vacs, two vac station upfront about 35 feet infront of of bays and they splint bays 1&2 and anouther infront and split bays 3&4.

I have two bays to the rear about 55-60 feet back of bays 1&4.

I have four light fixtures in each bays located in the corners. The fixtures are 2 bulb T-12 eight footers with 110 watt bulbs. The bays are wider and longer than most bays by about 3ft in width and 4 feet in length.

Each Vac station has a single 175 Halide light. The fixture is ancient and faces up with yellowed lenses and a circular reflector that luminates down, so I'm not getting very much light from these.

My goal is to increase overal lighting upfront and rear. More so to the rear as the property continues about 100 feet past the bays and the property is 90ft wide. This area is used for drying and the two rear vacs.

I'm thinking of changing the pole lights to help this issue, and think I may need to add maybe two spot lights on the roof facing towards the rear to better cover rear drying area. I think the two newer lights up front will cover the front fine.

My issue is I don't know what lights to use for the poles and the two additional roof lights with usage cost being a factor. Any advise would be appreciated. I know I can use larger halides but usage will go way up.

The bays I'm looking at repalcing the 8ftrs to possibly T-5 double bulbs which should cut my bay usage in half from what i currently have, but I don't want to give up light coverage. I've also been reading about these induction lights which sounds good, but not sure if I would need 4 per bay. I'm also thinking I may have to rearrange everything for boom clearence if I go to a box type light like that, rather than just replacing with new smaller fixtures in existing location.

I'm also going to contact southern Ca edison here to see if ther're any rebates our tax breaks.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Matt

Wet Spot

Reaction score
anyone try the induction brand flood lights to replace halide lights on poles for parking/drying/vac area lumination

Wet Spot

Reaction score
do a search on induction lighting, I made a post about a month ago on the topic.

Thanks, yeah I read all your post. Did you also replace va/drying/parking lot lights with these induction lights, and if so did it give as much converage and brightness. Are you in the Socal,Ca area as I am?

Thanks
Matt

Wet Spot

Reaction score
I'm waiting for Edsison. They told me they will replace my lights; however it's been three months still waiting. Probably gona change to 4 footers, cut done usage in the bays, and add lighting for drying area. Just not sure which flood type lights I'm gona get. Probably add four 250 watts

Reds

Reaction score
Some of the bigger lighting suppliers like LSI will do a photometric layout for you if you send them a site plan. They also specify what type of lights and wattages to use. You may want to become familiar with candlepower and how it is applied to site plans if you decide to do this.

soapy

Reaction score
I just updated my last wash with some fixtures I got from Kleenrite. I tried a 4 foot 2 light waterproof fixture using T5s from Kleenrite as well as the 8 foot- 4 bulb units. 2 of the 8 foot T5 fixtures will light up a SS bay like a operating room. If you go with 4 of the 4 foot T5s I am sure you will be happy with the light output in your SS bays. I also updated some of the other locations using 42 watt CFLs in the SS bays that turned out well. They use less electricity but provide less light in the bay. CFLs and florescents generally do not do well when trying to use them to reach acrosss parking lots and direct the light to a distant point. MH may be better for this or even LEDS. LEDS are still pretty expensive per fixture. Platt electric has locations in Cal and have light experts that can do an energy audit for you and reccomend light for you.