What's new

Bad juju, or how a simple problem turns into an expensive disaster

mac

Reaction score
Thought I would share this with you in our community of operators. I had a sales and service company for many years, more than I care to think about. I used to teach electronic troubleshooting many years ago in my beloved USMC. Granted vacuum tubes were still used back then, but the troubleshooting process and how electrons move about don't change. I like to think of myself tech wise in the top percentile of ratings being tech savvy on all types of wash equipment. I bought a wash with an old automatic and 5 ss bays a little while ago. Replaced the auto with a tall Istobal Flex 5 (which has performed wonderfully). The entry device though is an 18 year old Wash Select 2. So two weeks ago it died on me, on a Friday of course. Just started doing all sorts of bad things. Long story short, it took me two full weeks to get it functioning. Ouch. That when our busy season starts here. I could still run the auto when I was there but had to close it when I went home. Because I had an old WS 2 from a previous deal, I though I had plenty of spare parts. The techs at Unitec were always helpful, but they are in Maryland and I am in south FL. Together we would decide part A was bad. So send one, overnight of course. That wouldn't fix it, so more parts. Then comes two big holidays, storms up north preventing parts delivery, weekends, and Unitec closing parts for inventory. Also because I was operating the auto from its touchscreen I had left the touchscreen unlocked for a couple of days. Someone came in at night and did a little reprogramming on the wash programs. I'm pretty sure I know who that person is, and if I see him I expect to spend a few nights in jail. (As an aside, be VERY cautious when messing with a former marine.) So two weeks and thousands of dollars later it can now function, sort of. Bill acceptor still not working. As one Unitec tech said, "This isn't just weird, it's really, really, really weird." But I got the thing working. I am convinced that there is bad juju, or bad vibes, as some call it. So today my wife and I are going to the wash and burn sage. The smoke gets rid of the bad juju. Just for insurance I am also going by a local church and get some holy water to sprinkle around. The wash has been a real challenge, but it has been satisfying to get a piece of horse excrement back into good shape. So the moral to this is that sometimes even with the sharpest minds and skilled techs, we are sometimes just stumped.

soapy

Reaction score
It is always a different perspective when it is your money as owner on the line. Keep plugging away.

Randy

Reaction score
Mac have you given any thoughts of dumping the 18 year old Unitec Wash Select II and putting a Hamilton Goldline. Replacing the 18 year old Wash Select II would have been on the top of the list when I remodeled and installed the Istobal Flex 5. How much money have you lost in lost business, the frustration of dick'n around trying to fix an 18 year old Unitec Wash Select II that probably should be replaced anyway. Think about how your poor wife feels listening to you rant and rave about that piece of $hit 18 year old Unitec Wash Select II, replace the frigg'n thing.

Randy

Reaction score
Randy, do you think Mac should get rid of his Unitec?
What do you think? Should he keep putting money into an 18 year old piece of $hit or replace it with a Hamilton Goldline. Heck a ACW-4 would be better than what he's got now.

DavidM

Reaction score
As an operator, I know the pain of not being able to find the problem. They are frustrating days!

I dont think I agree with Randy on swapping out the Unitec for a Hamilton. I have 3 WS2s. One will celebrate its 20th birthday this year, one is 17 and one is 14. They have been solid. When I do replace them, it will probably be for options like a touch screen, bill dispensing and the ability to do upgrades to wash packages.

Good luck Mac, welcome to the operator world. I have appreciated hearing about your process getting this wash running. You might even convince me to consider an Istobal

David

mac

Reaction score
Randy I certainly did consider replacing the WS2, but I've already spent gobs of money on redoing the place and it just wasn't in the budget. I've sold the Unitec line for over 25 years and have generally been satisfied with its performance. When I do replace it, it will be with a unit that has a touchscreen. Both Hamilton and Unitec have them and I've sold three of the Unitec Portals before I sold the business,The cost of this isn't what bothered me the most. It was the frustration of getting it right that bothered me. And yesterday my wife and I lit a bunch of sage and walked all through the place driving away the bad juju. Today someone left a nice new fire extinguisher for me. I think we turned the corner.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Whats a fire extinguisher good for when you want the place to burn down? Oh, and I hate to tell you this, but you will probably get a bill for that new fire extinguisher.

Sorry, maybe i've been doing this too long...

steve569

Reaction score
I have owned Wash select 2s and Sentinels and there is always something going on with them. That policy of not being able to call in without an appointment doesn't set well either.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of car wash ownership! Being down for an extended period is rough. You really get a chance to see just how much you can take!

My 'test' came last March, when I was down for a month with a sewer problem / system rebuild. I learned alot about myself and what I am capable of handling in business and life...

Keep the faith!

mac

Reaction score
Well I consider both machines a good value. The Hamiltons are built stouter. What we inengineering call robust. The Unitecs are not as stout, but offer better marketing functions.

mac

Reaction score
Have actually started having some fun and pride at the wash. I've basically completely rebuilt my Wash Select 2 and an 18 year old combo vac and shampoo. Have had customers (I really like talking to them) point to both and say they really like the "new" equipment.