What's new

Backup generator

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Based on my recent multi-day power failure, I've learned that I need two backup systems for the equipment room. Heat and electricity/generator. Since I have a huge propane tank on the property that is the natural source for fuel.

Is anyone using a propane-powered generator for backup power at their wash, and if so, which one?

No, I don't expect to use it to run pumps and provide car washes as I don't want to size a unit that large. I just want all my electronics (security, cameras, etc.) to continue to run and not see my backup batteries get totally depleted.

I need a propane powered unit that monitors the battery voltage of my backup batteries, and which will auto-start if they drop to a specified level. And shut off automatically after the charging cycle. Finally, my equipment room is very tight and I'd prefer a unit I could run indoors and vent to the outside?

And, I need the same thing in a propane heater, should temps fall below a certain level ....

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
The propane heater should not be an issue. You should be able to find something at Lowes of HD that will fill the bill. There are plenty of wall mounted ventless heaters to choose from. I have a natural gas version in my garage and also one in the basement of my house. We have had two multi-day power failures due to ice storms. The one in my basement kept my whole house liveable during those events. The temp dropped down to 2 degrees one night, but my house didn't drop below 60.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
If you have room inside--- the generator will provide heat also, provided you plumb the intake and exhaust outside, and keep it safe from the weather and thieves.