What's new

Backflow valves...

Danny

Reaction score
Several car washes have had their backflow valves stolen. The general thought is that they are stealing them to sell for recycling material. Riverside County and San Bernardino County in Southern California are where the thefts have been happening. Lockable cages are available to cover the back flow valves.

MEP001

Reaction score
Not surprising - brass goes for about $1.50 a pound, 3 or 4 valves like that can get them $100.

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
Over the years we've had 3 taken out by wrecks and 2 stolen. After the thefts our plumber sprayed them with a thick paint which devalues them to the recyclers because it's supposed to be "clean" copper and since then we've had no more problems.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Can you move it inside the equipment room?
Mine is inside - I'm actually surprised to hear they are not all inside.

Randy

Reaction score
I got into a big ****?n match with the city a few years ago. They wanted me to move my backflow out to the street. They said it was code now and that it would be easier for them to come by and test it. My point was exactly what?s going on now; they?ll steal the things for scrap. Sure enough they lost a half a dozen or so in my little town. The lock enclosure doesn?t keep them from stealing them and painting them doesn?t work, they burn the paint off. Mine is still in the equipment room where it belongs.