What's new

Average Washes for an IBA life

Knight01

Reaction score
I'm looking at a SS/IBA wash that is about 15 years old with original equipment. It has been reasonably well maintained but the IBA, Istobal, has about 125,000 washes on it. Any guesstimates as an average life that can be expected?

Rocketman

Reaction score
This is a good question. I have made similar observation and have similar concerns. Moving parts = some degree of useful life that varies by quality of the materials, workmanship, design, brand, installation, maintenance etc.

Some machines are obviously more reliable than others but this is a very good question. Not being entirely familiar with IBA averages I have wondered and asked a few times. What would be considered average? Using the numbers your presented above 125k washes over 15 years averages out to ~ 22 cars a day.

As a quick comparison, the one that I looked at recently has over 150,000 washes and is ~ 5 years old.

Eric H

Reaction score
it's not really as much about wash counts. I think what matters is repair costs, downtime, wash quality and throughput.
Exactly! How well was the machine maintained, parts availability and costs...does the machine look modern enough that it conveys confidence to the consumer?
Someone here put a vinyl wrap on there machine, I think it was Waxman, to make the machine look more attractive. My Razors are 6 years old and I feel I need to make some changes just so the customer feels like the machine is modern and well maintained. I may add a vinyl wrap or add some colored LED lights.
So, back to your question. Any guesstimates as an average life that can be expected? IMO, 200,000 cars shouldn’t be unattainable on any machine but you’ll need to factor maintenance and downtime to the wash as it ages. At some point the cost of maintaining and the lose of revenue from downtime will necessitate replacement.

washnshine

Reaction score
it's not really as much about wash counts. I think what matters is repair costs, downtime, wash quality and throughput.
Yes - there definitely comes a time when you can continue to do the repairs, buy the parts, keep the machine working etc., but it is just no longer cost effective to do so.

Rocketman

Reaction score
Thanks for the response gentlemen. Yes, I agree. It's a similar situation with my laundromat for example. There are several brands of washers and dryers with prices directly proportional to quality, reliability, technical support, accessibility etc. In my situation, we all have full time jobs / careers. i often get sent on travel assignments. My laundromat is unattended. Thus quality, reliability, and technical support are high on my list of wants. The car wash, while unattended will need more daily interaction and support and that is understood.

I've made similar observations evaluating and understanding the CW business. I am clearly not an expert but I have noticed that the older (and some newer designs / models) are more clunky and less reliable than others. Moving parts, friction, resistance, added weight, plus some occasional customer abuse equates to hardware going down and life cycles that have a limit.

This location went from one of the old clunkier models that used tracks and had hardware attached to the top which added to the weight of the unit to one that is not as heavy, air dryer etc. Once this IBA reaches that point of maintenance vs replacement, I would imagine that the replacement might be a little less invasive.

At 150k washes with an IBA that is well taken care of and maintained, the fact remains that replacement if at a minimum of all of the moving components and structure would be required at sooner rather than later.

Good information and discussion. Thanks folks.

soonermajic

Reaction score
This is a good question. I have made similar observation and have similar concerns. Moving parts = some degree of useful life that varies by quality of the materials, workmanship, design, brand, installation, maintenance etc.

Some machines are obviously more reliable than others but this is a very good question. Not being entirely familiar with IBA averages I have wondered and asked a few times. What would be considered average? Using the numbers your presented above 125k washes over 15 years averages out to ~ 22 cars a day.

As a quick comparison, the one that I looked at recently has over 150,000 washes and is ~ 5 years old.
Wowsers!! 85cpd is a LOT! Gotta be 1 of the busier washes on here!

Rocketman

Reaction score
Hello soonermajic,

I am clearly not the expert nor do I have the data to state what members on this forum are averaging but I could speak to this location. Reviewing the data this is an average but is actually higher if you see how the number compare year over year. I live in Florida, this time of year Love Bugs are around which results in more washes during this time of year. This means that during love bug season which is not uncommon for it to be twice per year, the numbers are significantly higher than 85 cpd.

As illustrated on this thread, the reason for this owner's success is the fact that he keeps the place very clean and running optimally. IBA downtime is kept to a minimum via a reasonable inventory of products, preventive and on hands maintenance, and not just the ability but the willingness of the owner to bring in help ASAP to resolve CW / IBA issues. It take money to make money.

I don't think that a location could reach and maintain those kinds of numbers by not being attentive, performing all of the PMs needed, monitoring the location, not getting creative with the soap mix formulas, and keeping the CW and IBA looking fresh and clean. From a customer standpoint which I am, the bar has been and maintained raised. From a buyer standpoint which I also am now, it is easier said than done as it will take significant dedication, support, oversight, & hands-on to maintain at this level but the formula (and the noticeable) customer base is there.

rhino

Reaction score
Last year we finally replaced our Laserwash 4000. It was sitting around 250k washes once we tore it out.