What's new

Attendants

washtubman

Reaction score
Since 1995 we have attended our wash 6 days a week, including prepping cars for our IBA's. With the economic environment and due to medical problems, I am considering doing away with the prepping and just have part timers to clean up, etc. Has anyone out there done this reversal, and if so, what was your outcome; good, bad, same????? I realize there will probably be a drop in gross income, but not sure what to expect if we do this.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
What does your "prepping cars for IBA's" entail? Do you do it around the clock or just certain days/times?

washtubman

Reaction score
We meet and greet, spray the front ends with bug solution and brush the windshield and front ends. We also offer tire cleaning for an extra buck. Our customers that use the automatics are toward the senior age. Frankly, we've spoiled them and thats what worries me a bit. We attend mon-sat 9 to 5. Sundays they are on their own.

MEP001

Reaction score
The big question I have would be: how does your Sunday business compare to the other six days of the week?

We operate with one clean-up a day, done by myself with about three hours spent making everything as perfect as I can, and I know this to be a success. What I don't know is how much better it might or could be if it was attended the way you are now.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
There is no question, that that personal touch, brings you in a lot of customers that would be "afraid" to do it on their own. Just like getting a real person on the phone vs an automated one.

Only you will be able to figure out if the reduction in revenue, is less than the reduction in expenses.

Etowah

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Offset your attendant costs by raising the prices on your automatics. Use the extra funds to pay for that attendant.

Before you do that, you need to know why your customers come to your automatics. Is it for the wash, or for the wash and bug juice?

washtubman

Reaction score
Many of them come for the wash and the bug " juice". The question is; how many would come without the juice, etc. I am the only wash in town that attends the IBA's, so they wouldn't get that service anywhere else either. But, we are one of the older washes in town so they may go to one of the "fancier" washes if we weren't out there. Guess, I'll start an informal survey and see what they think. Our night trade is pretty good and there is no attendant then. Sundays are a crap shoot; sometimes pretty good and other times not so good. I do know that some days if we happen to not be there for a while, people will pull up and if no one comes out, they leave. Like I said, they are spoiled.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not book a car or two daily for detail jobs so the attendants have more to do in between preps at your IBA?

The detail revenue would more than pay for the attendant plus you keep your prep service and create another revenue stream. Win/win/win.

FWIW, once you start something like this it's awfully hard to take it away because all of a sudden your service is perceived as 'less than'.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
^Wax is right. There is a big problem with offering a service that customers get used to and then stopping that service. Even though you saw it as a little extra service, the customer probably sees it as part of the regular service and will feel jilted when they no longer get that service. Adding a little detailing would be a perfect addition with attendants already on site.