What's new

ATM Placement

pgrzes

Reaction score
Thinking about getting an ATM Machine placed at my wash??? Any thoughts or opinions on this, I have been looking and see that there are a ton of opportunities to just get a machine dropped at your location, no maint, no headaches??? Or so they say. Thanks in advance for your insight.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Sounds like a whole hell of alot of problems to me especially with theft these days, unless your an full service tunnel and have it placed inside then I really don't see a problem but a standalone wash my answer is NO.

bigleo48

Reaction score
You would also need a great location or it doesn't get any action.

Kevin James

Reaction score
Thinking about getting an ATM Machine placed at my wash??? Any thoughts or opinions on this, I have been looking and see that there are a ton of opportunities to just get a machine dropped at your location, no maint, no headaches??? Or so they say. Thanks in advance for your insight.
Can you say "THEFT TARGET"

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Can you say "THEFT TARGET"
I think just the opposite. You don't maintain it, so let it get broken into. I would think it would be a more interesting target than your vaults or changers, so let the numb-nuts go after that instead and leave your equipment alone.

Etowah

pgrzes

Reaction score
I think just the opposite. You don't maintain it, so let it get broken into. I would think it would be a more interesting target than your vaults or changers, so let the numb-nuts go after that instead and leave your equipment alone.
I wash thinking the same thing!!! If I have a machine placed next to my changers that are mounted in the wall, I woud assume they would go after the free standing ATM Before anything else!! I have an Ice Cream stand next to me that has had a machine there for a few years with no issues, my customers are the only ones that ever use it, so why not get one placed at my location???

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
pgrzes,

We have no regrets putting in ours almost 2 years ago. There is an ATM across the street from us at a bar, 2 blocks away at a Cenex convenience store, 3 blocks away at a Tesoro Gas station drive tunnel car wash, 4 blocks away at a 7-11 franchise convenience store. With the proper signage it still gets more than enough use & the car wash customers go by it if they use the rest room, & the vending area etc. which can potentially help those sales too. During slower periods it helps to maintain a bit more foot traffic which in my opinion serves as a deterrent to a rascal not being watched enough!

ATMs are all over the world & there is fairly healthy competition between the manufacturers & the distributors. The technology is more mature than most.

Don't go into blind though, check around with the various vendors ... make sure the contract is something you can commit to etc. Some contracts are much better than others. I do not see why you have to do anymore than bill changers, or bill to bill changers for security purposes since it does not have have any more money inside it ... you can limit the amount of cash dispensed. They have built into wall models. Ours is deep into our laundromat & in an area locked up after 10PM in the evening till 8 AM ... so I do understand that it might not be the best fit for everyone. So far maintenance has not been a problem ... check to see if you have a fairly good source of the bills that you will dispense ... that will help.

Since Big Leo has an ATM ... not sure of all the specific circumstances around it ... it is possible he happens to have a location where the usage is less ... especially if he & others heavily promote "rewards - cash back" card use on all his equipment ... I am not sure.

Like I have said before, I was just as skeptical as most of my fellow car wash operators several years ago ... until several laundromat owners convinced me that an ATM was working out really good for them.

mike