What's new

Article

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep it Coming!

In a word, NO.

I love brake dust! The way it dirties up rims, especially on Saabs.

It gives customers another reason to wash.

The brake dust that comes off and clings to the painted surfaces makes claying the paint necessary and guess what; my detail shop specializes in that!

So keep the brake dust coming; I love it.:D

briteauto

Reaction score
Very true, Waxman. However, many IBA's do not even use a wheel cleaner. Wheels only get as clean as the presoak that might get on them and then sprayed off will do (or the rocker/wheel blast, which is usually only water). It is fine for dirt, mud, salt, sand etc. but most IBA's - even with a friction wheel scrub do not do a thorough job of break dust removal - especially if you have tire dressing gumming it up, or if it has rained and then dried. Tunnels truly have the edge with wheels - more equipment options and sometimes the use of manual labor.

I agree for a detailer break dust is great, however I don't see many IBA's doing a good job with wheels, unless they are hand prepped. Sure - customers can prep their own wheels in the s.s., but it is a pretty small amount of customers that will prep wheels for $2, then wash the car for $8 in the IBA. Not the money so much, but the time and hassle. Using the s.s. defeats the convenience of the IBA.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Until there is a better way than friction to stop cars, I think we're stuck with brake dust.

It was a drag to detail my Saab only to have dirty rims again in what seemed like minutes. So I bought a product called Kleen Wheels. They are a plastic cover that snaps inside the wheel and keeps brake dust off. They work great and I recommend them highly.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can also switch to ceramic pads. The rotors on some vehicles can't handle the extra heat generated and may warp, but good aftermarket replacements can, and they're usually pretty cheap. They don't stop better, but they never fade no matter how hot they may get.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
That is what I did on my Z, the factory brakes were a nightmare, just driving around the block. Reading on their forum, I switched and now there is virtually none.

mac

Reaction score
The next thing you know, someone will try to figure out how to eliminate love bugs.

briteauto

Reaction score
So I bought a product called Kleen Wheels. They are a plastic cover that snaps inside the wheel and keeps brake dust off. They work great and I recommend them highly.
Good tip. I should see if I can get something like this for my Audi - it is a major break dust maker too.

soapy

Reaction score
I have Brembo brakes on a few outfits and they are horrible for brake dust. First thing I do is change out the pads to Hawk or EBC pads and the dust problems are gone.