What's new

Appraisal District - To Fight Or Not?

Red Baron

Reaction score
They appraised the 6/1 equipment (personal property) at a car wash I sold 9 months ago for $137,000. The D&S 5000 was about 2 years old, and the SS equipment is 16 years old. 14 vacs. Am I wasting my time, should I just pay them the $3400 and go on to better battles?

Btw, Lubbock, Tx.

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
Why are you getting a tax bill for a wash you sold? Shouldn't the new owner be getting the bill?

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Not sure why your still involved, but I wish i had taxes like that. My 5 bay 3vacs in Minnesota is appraised by city at$246K and taxes of $5800. Way too much for this wash .

Red Baron

Reaction score
Not sure why your still involved, but I wish i had taxes like that. My 5 bay 3vacs in Minnesota is appraised by city at$246K and taxes of $5800. Way too much for this wash .

Is that personal property, or real estate? That's my question, is $137,000 valuation for the equipment I described too much? I know if it were sold it would probably bring about 15-20k.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Wouldn't an accountant depreciate so much every year, so that you would pay taxes on the smaller amount you described not replacement value.

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
Is that personal property, or real estate? That's my question, is $137,000 valuation for the equipment I described too much? I know if it were sold it would probably bring about 15-20k.
In my state it is personal property and taxed at the same rate as real estate.

Yes, $137,000 sounds high for used equipment.

Every year I fill out a form listing the equipment’s original price, age and my guess at to its current value. The first year the valuation was the original price and then went down 7% per year for 10 years and settled at a 30% residual. The county assigned the 10 year useful life and my guess at its current value is ignored. I will pay tax on 30% of the original price until the equipment is taken out of service.

What was the assessed value of the equipment last year? It should be a little lower this year.