What's new

Anyone wiling to sell for 2-4 multiple?

Etowah

NewWasher

Reaction score
2-4 times net income that is.

Hello everyone My name is Jay and live in S. Calif. I have been reading a lot of good info on this forum for the past few days and came across a post where car washes should sell for 2-3 times net income and that the days of 6 are over. In S. Calif I have not found one yet that is below 6. All of them are in the 7-10 range. I am looking for a Car wash business that pulls at least $300K net income per year with at least 25% profit and find it very difficult to justify a purchase of one for $2.1 - $3 Million. there are so many other businesses out there for 2-3 times. What drives me still to purchasing a car wash is that relatively speaking it is not as complicated as some of the other businesses.

I have noticed though there are a lot of car washes for sale. I believe this is because of the high appreciation of the car wash business during the past few years and rising fuel costs. I am inclined to wait 6-12 months to see if the prices drop. There are so many for sale and way few buyers so basic economics says the industry is in for a major price drop. I am trying to test the 2-4 theory. Would anyone sell for that multiple?

As a side note I did find one with a aprox. 4.5 multiple:

Price Reduced!
Low Rent!
Down Payment 1,000,000
Annual Revenue: 850000
Annual Net Income: 360000
Average Monthly Gross Income: 70000
Average Monthly Net Income: 30000-35000
Establish: 7yrs
Own: 4yrs
Size: 8000sq
Lot: 26000sq
Rent: 4975/Month Cam 800
Lease: 29yrs
Payroll: Approximately 33-35% Of Gross Income

Very Stable And High Profit Employee Run Business.
Seller Installed Oil & Lube Service On March, 2008 And The Gross Income Increased 10,000

What do you guys think of that with just the info above? I am meeting the owner later this week and this is the only info I have so far. Any other comments to help would be appreciated. Will give more info as I find out myself.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Part of the reason that prices are so high for so-cal washes is due to the value of the real estate. Some washes, particularly older ones, are worth more dead than alive. We might see some decline in wash asking prices due to overall economy and lack of credit for buyers, but I don't see them drastically falling.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Find the guy who says they should sell for 2-3x net and ask him if he will sell for that price. He wont. That should tell you something.

supersuds

Reaction score
Maybe a 4 multiple if you back out the dirt and plug in a land lease cost. There are investors out there looking for a 15% return on the money. Just have to find them.