What's new

Anyone have a crimping tool / machine for HP hose?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Been thinking about one. Mostly to keep down time to a minimum. I know the assembled hoses will likely cost the same or less, but I like have the means to repair things as quickly as possible.

Do any of you guys own one? What are the good brands to look for?

Thanks

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
One argument for getting our own is our recent experience of no one local .... we could find ... willing to crimp anything but their own specific brand of hose (expensive+). 15 years ago there was not such a "psych out caused by fear of liability"!!! Our mosmatic z booms require the precise length ... not sure if the precut & made hoses car wash suppliers will size to the inches within the total length. The specific mosmatic part number is very costly.

MEP001

Reaction score
I have a hand swage unit for hose repair, but mainly because I've been a professional car wash tech off and on for about 25 years. For everyday operation I just keep lots of spare hoses since the hand unit is not easy to use, and the swage fittings are so pricey that (if I've done the math correctly) they're about three times the cost over ordering hose assemblies from Kleen-Rite. I only use it for replacing overhead high-pressure lines.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I bought one right after buying the wash and wouldn't own the place without it. Got it off Ebay and saved a lot compared to new. It has about a 2.5" diameter hydraulic cylinder that pumps to 5000psi! I don't stock any hoses since its so easy and fast to make one when needed....I can pull a hose, make a new one, and be back in business in less than an hour. I have so many different length hoses at the wash, how on earth would you be able to stock all the different lengths?? I would think this is necessary equipment every CW owner should have.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have these at my places for Hydraulic hose but for Standard Size SS stuff I keep spares on hand. I also have re usable repair ends and swivels for a quick fix ..https://www.sonnysdirect.com/sonnysdirect/en/Parts-Supplies/Hydraulics/Swaging-Tool-Hand-Jack-Hyd-6-Ton/p/000000000040000599

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Here's a picture of it. Maybe a little overkill. But the price was right. It came with about 8 different dies.

crimper.jpg

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I've got a parker mini crimp machine. The previous owner of a car wash sold it to me for cheap. I have all the parker dies for 1/4"-1". It is designed to use parker hose and fittings though. I buy hose ends and hose of other brands from the mail order houses and they do not crimp down enough to ensure a god crimp. I've found a hack to that is to use the one size smaller size die than I should. So I will use the 3/4" die on 1" hose. It doesn't look pretty but at the pressure ranges we're using at the wash it seems to works fine. I carry reusable hose ends on my truck to get out of a pinch.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Greg, I had a little trouble when I first got my crimper. It wouldn't crimp 3/8 well and the hose would get a blister just behind the fitting. I talked to my fitting supplier about this and he said I should be using the silver ring and not the black one. I told him the only ring I had was a black one. He sold me a silver one and haven't had any problem since. Do you have both rings?

Randy

Reaction score
I have a Weatherhead hose crimper. When I bought it the guy tossed in almost a lifetime supply of 3/8” hose fittings that I use. If I was to have bought the fittings separately the value of the fittings was more than the hose crimper cost. I think I got a pretty good deal.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Greg, I had a little trouble when I first got my crimper. It wouldn't crimp 3/8 well and the hose would get a blister just behind the fitting. I talked to my fitting supplier about this and he said I should be using the silver ring and not the black one. I told him the only ring I had was a black one. He sold me a silver one and haven't had any problem since. Do you have both rings?

Thanks Pat, I'll look into it.

soapy

Reaction score
I just keep spare hoses that I get from Kleenrite. To make sure I only have to stock one length of hose is that I use a short whip hose from the boom down of varying lengths so the one long one that runs to the gun is always the same length. Kleenrite hoses cost me 1/4 of the local made ones. Ps the short whip hoses almost never fail but I do have few spares of them also.
I have a crimper for my overhead door cables when I have to make them. A good 16oz. hammer works better than the cable crimpers.