What's new

Anybody have a gas powered F-250?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I am planning to buy a new F-250 in the next month or so and it ain't gonna be a diesel...don't like em, ain't gonna have one. I feel sure I will get the 5.4L V-8, but the V-10 is a possibility. Anybody have either engine and input, regrets, etc?

BTW, I will have a lift gate so it will not be used for any towing, just hauling a drum or two of soap from time to time.

Eric H

Reaction score
Pat, the V-10 is really best for towing. I'd just save the money and get the V-8.

MEP001

Reaction score
Why so "dead set" against diesel? Ford's Powerstroke isn't great, but the Isuzu in the Chevy and the Cummins in the Dodge are both extremely good.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm a "windows down" guy and I don't like the sound of the diesel. Around here the fuel is 35-50 cents higher than gas, the diesel costs $6875 more up front, the oil changes, fuel filters and misc maintainence items cost much more. I haven't put a pencil to it, but I think it would take a long time for the mileage of the diesel to make up for the initial price. Besides, Mary said she would disown me if I bought a diesel.

I have a friend with an '06 Chevy and that thing is quiet, but I just think the new Chevy trucks are butt ugly. I can hear a Cummins Dodge coming a block away so it is not an option. Anyway, Mary works at a Ford dealer so I am just going to buy it there.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
I have friend who has a Dodge (cummins) Diesel and just spent 3 grand at about 100k for repairs. With the initial premium for this engine and his reapir he is dwon 10 k--that's about 3500 gal of gas. Dodge new warranty on power train 07 and 08 is "life" for first owners but the diesel excluded from this. They obviously have first hand significant experience with this.

Just saw the guy who is a few miles short of 1,000,000 miles on his checy gas pick up.

If you are thinking about a hybrid be sure to move to Kansas as there is no advantage in most terrain.

Ted