What's new

Any Reason to Softened HP Rinse Water?

bigleo48

Reaction score
All,

Someone in another post mentioned that they did not use softened water for the HP rinse. Is there really much benefit to using softened water for HP rinse?

I have a spotfree final pass for all washes and I understand that making SF water requires it to be softened, so I'm just talking about HP rinse tank on my M5. My city water feed is good with about 5 grains of hardness, so its not like I'm on a well or anything. It would however save me over $100/month on salt.

Thanks in advance for your replies...Big

Jeff_L

Reaction score
What do you do with your waste water from your RO process?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
"Hard water" helps get rid of soap foam better than soft. As I recall, mine was plumbed that way, hard water rinse.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
5 Grains is not very hard water. I have seen washes with 5 grains do without a softener and plumb directly into an RO unit. I believe you would need a charcoal filter to do that to remove the chlorine which damages membranes.

MEP001

Reaction score
You always need a charcoal filter whether the water is softened or not. I agree though, 5 grains is pretty low - you'd probably spend less in replacement membranes than you would on salt for softening water.

bigleo48

Reaction score
You always need a charcoal filter whether the water is softened or not. I agree though, 5 grains is pretty low - you'd probably spend less in replacement membranes than you would on salt for softening water.
OK, but how much more effective are the soaps with soft water vs 5 to 6 grains of hardness?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The effect should be minimal since most decent soaps have some conditioning agents in them and you are already at 5 grains. I doubt you would see any real difference between your water and soft water.

Reaction score
You would be surprised that just at 2 GPG hardness approx 5oz of soap is destroyed per 100 gallons of hard water, 4GPG 10oz, 6GPG 15oz. So I think selecting products that are hard water tolerant or contain conditioners.