What's new

Any luck with a website for IBA

bcdawkin

Reaction score
What kind of luck have people had driving revenue selling gift cards, VIP cards, etc. via a website for their IBA? Is it worth the investment into an ecommerce site?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you may be a bit late for implementing this for this season.

I am too; my web guy I found through the chamber of commerce. He is getting my site up and running for $89 next week. Granted it'll be simple, but I think the goal is be top on the search engines, list prices, what we do, company philosophy, community events, a blog and some cool pics. Probably link it to a ebay site for prepaid sales of g.c.'s and carwash books.

FWIW, I re-did my carwash bulk pricing at the advice of those here; 5 wash books for $35 ($10 deluxe washes) and on from there. So far so good. Already sold some!

pitzerwm

Reaction score
A web site is just another tool for your business. How successful it is depends on how you market it and use it. Never answering your emails or updating it makes it less valuable. BTW, I have access to cheap hosting and development.

JustClean

Reaction score
One thing is for sure - a future competitor checks out your website first!
So whatever you do I would be careful.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you mean make the best, most professional web site you can and hope it deters competitors?

JustClean

Reaction score
you mean make the best, most professional web site you can and hope it deters competitors?
Yes, but to be careful what information I wiould give out. It's a bit difficult: All the information for the customer but nothing for the competitor. Maybe a lot of talk and no substance ;o)

pitzerwm

Reaction score
IMO you don't have to worry about the competitor just keep ahead of them so that they are always "trying to keep up with the Jones".

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good point Bill. My site is low-buck($89) and will be online and activated soon. I will post a link as soon as I feel I am ready!

Red Baron

Reaction score
IMO you don't have to worry about the competitor just keep ahead of them so that they are always "trying to keep up with the Jones".

'Zactly! Every time we take our roofing equipment to a roofing convention, competitors will be there introducing "new" features they saw us introduce at the last show. Rather than worry about them copying us, we make sure they're always playing catch-up.

All our marketing efforts are designed to drive eyeballs to our website where we have the room to present our products there. We don't try to sell them in a postcard - we use the postcard to pique their interest enough to get them to the website where we're not competing with other postcards and a dozen letters/bills for their attention.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here it is. Let the critiques begin!

Keep in mind: I've spent about 1.5 hours total on this so far.

I have lots more to do to the site; add videos, more data, pictures, etc.

I paid under $90 and I realize you get what you pay for! However, I'm skeptical about the benefits of a website for this type business, and that's why I went simple, basic and inexpensive.

www.carwashanddetailing.us

Red Baron

Reaction score
Here it is. Let the critiques begin!

Keep in mind: I've spent about 1.5 hours total on this so far.

I have lots more to do to the site; add videos, more data, pictures, etc.

I paid under $90 and I realize you get what you pay for! However, I'm skeptical about the benefits of a website for this type business, and that's why I went simple, basic and inexpensive.

www.carwashanddetailing.us
WM, looks neat and clean. Why not post this link/map to your Directions page:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Orange&state=MA&address=31+New+Athol+Road

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the music! Good website. I will look at it more when I have time.

Not crazy about the generic font used in much of the text.

I like the old photos; those look like a couple cool guys.

How much did your site cost?

Red Baron

Reaction score
I like the music! Good website. I will look at it more when I have time.

Not crazy about the generic font used in much of the text.

I like the old photos; those look like a couple cool guys.

How much did your site cost?
Nice clean site. Re: font, man I've struggled with that for a long time. "They" say that the font used depends on the flavor of the site. If it's a fun, colorful site (i.e., car wash) it can have a fun font (i.e. bazooka, cartoon, etc), but if it's a more formal site (law firm) it should have dignified fonts (presidential, arial narrow). They also say to not get too creative with fonts because not all computers/monitors will see them as intended. I know my computer at the car wash can't see Brush Script font.

MEP001

Reaction score
I would think it's fine to have a more fun font for heading lists or as a slogan/part of a logo, but I'm sure most will agree that for reading a plain fontis preferable. There's a good bit to read there, and that part is and (should me in my opinion) plain.

There are plug-ins to add to a site that will install a custom font so it can be viewed properly.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
A website allows operators to disseminate info to a wider audience including people who do not read newspapers or circulars, personalize content and tailor products which helps create loyalty bond and e-commerce which means selling on-line, 24/7.

Even with templates, you will need to have some artistic sense; design and graphic abilities to make pages and work with logo and photos; and an understanding of HTML title, the site description, and meta-tags which are key words associated with your site. Meta-tags help owners control to some degree how their web pages are ranked on crawler-based search engines. And finally, click-n-drop can be tedious when building pages, adding content and editing.

If this isn?t your cup of tea, most companies offer services where you can talk with a pro, review and comment and then take control of the site. The price can vary from several hundred dollars to $1,500. Price determines the scale/scope of design consulting, content formatting, photo integration, product set-up, logo, revisions and site management and editing orientation. Design services usually take several weeks to complete.

Regardless of your approach, I would try to avoid the temptation of adding a lot of hokey bells and whistles (i.e. elevator or rap music, dancing cartoons, etc.). A website should be designed with several purposes in mind. The 1st is to create a professional image and identity with the goal of getting people to remember you when they leave the site. The 2nd is to recruit new customers by promoting your products, offering a free coupon and describing any pre-paid options. The final purpose is to provide service with e-mail and telephone support.

I have tried to follow this philosophy in developing my own websites. Check them out at www.carwashplan.com and www.bubblewashbuildings.com

Hope this helps.

Bob Roman