What's new

Another solenoid help request...

ALMO

Reaction score
I am assuming I have a KIP solenoid. There are 6 of them on the foam brush machine. When I turn on the weep, water just drains from the brush so I am assuming the solenoid is stuck open. All three of the brushes are doing this. This is my first year with this used equipment. Here is what I have...
http://tinyurl.com/3qc34gv

So, since there are no labels on the solenoid, I am assuming it is the following type of solenoid...
http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1847-kip-solenoids-18-24v-metering-bottom-orifice-332.aspx

So, any help would be appreciated in figuring out what type of solenoid I need.
I have a Futura system hooked up.

Thanks

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I am assuming I have a KIP solenoid. There are 6 of them on the foam brush machine. When I turn on the weep, water just drains from the brush so I am assuming the solenoid is stuck open. All three of the brushes are doing this. This is my first year with this used equipment. Here is what I have...

So, since there are no labels on the solenoid, I am assuming it is the following type of solenoid...
http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1847-kip-solenoids-18-24v-metering-bottom-orifice-332.aspx

Thanks
Perhaps someone with a Futura system will answer. If not, here is what I would try. Use a voltage meter that can do 24 V and 110 V and test the leads on all 6 solenoids. See if the three problem ones test he same as the OK ones. If the OK ones have no juice and are closed they are normaly open and that is what you need to replace for the bad ones and vica versa. If they all test th same it gets more complicated. For instance on my foam brush the weep passes thru normaly open solenoids on their way to each FB. That way if someone chooses FB that NO solenoid is energized and it closes stopping the weep to the FB when in use.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Why not just change to a winter mix foam brush soap and not weep water at all in the foam brush.
A. Because I am anal retentive, I do both
B. Because I have to vary the Winter FB mix depending on temp., the mix in the lines could be too weak and still freeze (and it did when the weepmizer died) when the temp drops.

Reaction score
A. Because I am anal retentive, I do both
B. Because I have to vary the Winter FB mix depending on temp., the mix in the lines could be too weak and still freeze (and it did when the weepmizer died) when the temp drops.
Ok then how about a auto change over system?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score

Thanks
Almo,

Is your Futura weep just a manual valve or is there a more sophisticated water saving control --- based on how the temperature varies?

mj

MEP001

Reaction score
ALMO said:
When I turn on the weep, water just drains from the brush
That sounds like what it's supposed to do. The weep is meant to keep the brushes from freezing. Can you explain what you think it should do different?

In your photo I can see something joining up with the line after the solenoid - that's probably your weep. That would mean there's nothing wrong with the solenoids and replacing them won't change a thing.

ALMO

Reaction score
Almo,

Is your Futura weep just a manual valve or is there a more sophisticated water saving control --- based on how the temperature varies?

mj
It is a manual valve. When it is closed, no water weeps out. The amount of water that comes out is a lot. I have a weepmizer from the previous that was there but it is not hooked up.

I checked the solenoids and they are all getting 24V so they are good.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
It is a manual valve. When it is closed, no water weeps out. The amount of water that comes out is a lot. I have a weepmizer from the previous that was there but it is not hooked up.

I checked the solenoids and they are all getting 24V so they are good.
Almo,

On our Futura, you open the valve & it bypasses the solenoids with check valves. We have doors so we rarely use weep.

MJ

MikeV

Reaction score
Typically, on a properly installed Futura system, there is a N.O. solenoid for each function, ie; FB, Tire/engine, H.P. etc. If your brushes are weeping when you open the valve, it is doing what it is supposed to do. Try installing a N.O. solenoid velve tied to a thermostat. You will have to have power to the solenoid so that it stays closed at above freezing temps. When the temp drops, the solenoid valve will open allowint it to weep. You may need to add some type of flow control,( needle valve, it should have already had this) for each brush to control the amount of flow you get through the brushes.

Wally

Reaction score
You said you have a weepmizer that is not hooked up. This could be you problem. If it is not hooked up to electricity but is still plumbed in it is working as it is suppose to. The normally open solenoid is open if there is no power on it letting your brushes weep.

You said:
I have a weepmizer from the previous that was there but it is not hooked up.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Ok then how about a auto change over system?
Because I am not sure how it would work.

1. Seperate tank with the anti freeze soap/ Switches over at a certain temp.?

2. Does it purge the lines with the AF Soap solution when the temperature hits a certain pointz?

3. Does it adjust the AF soap concentration as the temp changes and re purge the lines with the new concentration as the temp drops?

If it doesn't do 2 & 3 I do not think it is worth the trouble since I still need to be directlyand regularly involved.

ALMO

Reaction score
I'm going to have to get a service person out for the install of the weep mizer and proper configuration of it all. It was installed on a previous system that was removed from the car wash.

I guess I was confused of how the weep works.
Thanks for the help.

I have other issues with the car wash which I will write a new thread shortly.

Thanks again...