What's new

Alu vs stainless steel

JustClean

Reaction score
Hi all, some of the newer machines use aluminium for rails, parts etc. While I guess stainless steel is the way to go in the long run I was wondering if anyone had exprience with aluminium and corrosion.
I had some problems with galvanized steel plates screwed on an aluminium plate with galvanized screws. But those were sitting directly on the concrete floor. Are your machines all stainless or do you also have aluminium and what is your experience with this? Thanks.

ToFarGone

Reaction score
99.9% aluminum and no problems. Some discoloration here and there but comes off when cleaning. Bolts are stainless and as you would expect are just fine. Type of chemical makes big difference...I run mostly high ph stuff but when I did run an acidic tire cleaner it would make the aluminum around it cloud up a bit. Never had it "eat" anything.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I have seen older water wizards with a lot of aluminium. Over the years they take a beating with corrosive high ph solutions. I wouldn't necessarily buy an automatic based on type of material used in construction, but I would opt for stainless if given the choice.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that my Lithonia Wall Pack lights in my IBA's were cast aluminum. I say "were" because they were eaten. They corroded completely through. Also, I think my foamy brush handles are aluminum and the chemicals eventually just eat holes through them. I use all high ph and no acid.

I don't think I have anything aluminum that has not been eaten by my car wash over a period of time!

Reds

Reaction score
My wall packs in my bays are aluminum housing and are all pitted up. My Water Wizards are 100% stainless steel and in as good of shape as new after 7 years of hard use.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
It all depends on what type of wash you have and the grade of aluminum. Ryko uses aluminum for their brush machines and stainless for their touch less washes. I have seen Ryko brush machines go 30 years and they still running without any corrosion at all!!!! Ryko does use air craft quality aluminum so maybe its an unfair comparison to other machines.

JustClean

Reaction score
It all depends on what type of wash you have and the grade of aluminum. Ryko uses aluminum for their brush machines and stainless for their touch less washes. I have seen Ryko brush machines go 30 years and they still running without any corrosion at all!!!! Ryko does use air craft quality aluminum so maybe its an unfair comparison to other machines.
The cleaning on brush machines is usually done with the brushes, not so much with the chemicals. So if the chemicals in the brush machine are neutral the aluminium will last much longer. That might be Rykos reason for using stainless in their touchless. Myself, I am using alu walls in my self serve bays and I am very happy with it. I actually only have to clean it maybe once a year. All other times it's just rinsing the dirt off. I have no no idea how those would stand up in a touchless. Has anyone done that? ToFarGone I assume your machine is still pretty new? So I think only time will tell...