What's new

Airlift PowerGlide that fell from the ceiling

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
We have a mixture of Airlift Magna Glides, and Power Glides (PG) in our IBA’s. They are all horizontal ceiling mounted units. This morning I got a call that an entrance door wouldn’t open all the way and stopped by to check it out. The Power Glide unit that was ~2yrs old had broken away from the ceiling bracket that holds it in place. After looking closer, there are 2 - 5/16” D x 1/2” L Stainless Steel bolts that mount the bracket to the aluminum block on the end of the Power Glide unit. They had both stripped out of the aluminum which caused the unit to drop.

I checked the installation packet to make sure we had installed it correctly, and we had. Airlift says to mount the power glide unit under the horizontal section of the ceiling bracket. The entire weight of the unit, rides on those 2 small bolts holding it in place. Since they were stripped out, and I’m not a fan of using helicoils to repair equipment, I flipped the bracket over and mounted the Power Glide to the top of the horizontal piece. Should those bolts ever tear out again, the bracket will at least hold the unit up. Since this is a first for one of those Power Glides, I’m going to change the bracket mounting position on the rest of them as a precaution.

The entrance door wouldn’t open, so no damage was done to a vehicle. However, if it had been an exit door, the unit could've dropped down on the car. 8AD8EA2A-8169-4ACD-92A5-E8F3D686F3A0.jpeg 824F4F48-1E5B-4676-8EDE-7242C0E7667A.jpeg

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
ScottV,

I did not study that specific mounting that well ... not sure if possible ... but we try to make sure on anything on the ceiling is with a strong stainless bolt clear through with at least one lock nut on the other side of the bolt. For our heavy Z booms especially ... even though it required patching the existing membrane roof to do it!

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
ScottV,

I did not study that specific mounting that well ... not sure if possible ... but we try to make sure on anything on the ceiling is with a strong stainless bolt clear through with at least one lock nut on the other side of the bolt. For our heavy Z booms especially ... even though it required patching the existing membrane roof to do it!
The location where these two short bolts are inserted would not allow for a pass through bolt. It would interfere with the internal workings of the powerglide unit. We also have Z Booms and actually run threaded rod all the way up into the attic to secure them. You never know when some kid is going to try grabbing the onto the hose and swinging around the bay.