What's new

Air pressure alert

OurTown

Reaction score
Earlier this week our air compressor tripped the breaker and after looking at the camera footage it was for almost a day. No SS presoak, no foam brush, no air injection on presoak on the auto, and no blow down on the auto. Awesome. We don't want to run a place like that so I'm thinking of an alert system that can text me if there is no air pressure. (or low pressure if we blow a line) Another issue we have is the electric has been out for more than an hour many times since owning the place for three and a half years. Once it was five hours and another it was about three and a half. Is there a relatively simple way to get alerts on these two items? If it makes sense to go with something like a PLR for these then an alert for low temp in the equipment room and low incoming water pressure would be nice too. Again if we have to go with the PLR route then I would also like to be able to remotely turn on foam brushes to check for freezing and remotely turn on equipment room light to see better with the surveillance camera in there.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm sure someone can help you with something more specifically what you want, but I would:

Add a small but good-quality backup compressor (Actually just did about a month ago).
Change out the room lights to LED (or add a couple low-wattage ones) and just leave them on.

OurTown

Reaction score
I'm sure someone can help you with something more specifically what you want, but I would:

Add a small but good-quality backup compressor (Actually just did about a month ago).
Change out the room lights to LED (or add a couple low-wattage ones) and just leave them on.

I like the concept of adding a backup compressor and it would work great for 8 months out of the year. In the winter the blow down eats a stupid amount of air and our 60 gal single stage is probably already a tad small. Adding a larger primary compressor and using our current one for backup would be better but I'm going to have to spend some time and money moving things around to make the space.

We already swapped the bulbs for LEDs in the ER but it is still a fair amount of power to run 24/7. I like the idea of putting in a small wattage light in there and run it all the time. Mrs. Ourtown suggested that a while back and I forgot about the idea. We can scratch that off my list now.

OurTown

Reaction score
Another thing that has gone down a few times is the internet. I'm not sure how that would alert me though. Maybe something that can remotely test the internet there on a semi hourly basis?

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Another thing that has gone down a few times is the internet. I'm not sure how that would alert me though. Maybe something that can remotely test the internet there on a semi hourly basis?
My camera system can be set to send me an alarm if the internet is down.

OurTown

Reaction score
If you have a "wired phone line" at the car wash...
A $375 Sensaphone 400 with a pressure switch connected would call up to 4 phones when the air pressure falls below the setpoint.

Sensaphone 400 Monitoring System, 4-Channel (homecontrols.com)

Interesting. We currently have a landline through the cable company but thinking of getting rid of it. What kind of air pressure switch would you hook to this? Also at that price couldn't we get an IDEC PLR and then connect it to the internet? It might be more complex but more versatile. I'm not sure if their app has a texting function though.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
OurTown,
Idec app does not send text messages. You have to open the app to monitor your PLR.

Here’s another idea....
A cheap pressure switch (contacts close at 70psi)

And, a WiFi sensor with text notification.

Undertaker II

Reaction score
What type of security/alarm system are you running at your wash? I have an alarm system that monitors door contacts, motion detection, low water, high water, low temperature, low air, boiler down and loss of electricity and is tied into my internet with an APP called Connect To Go. Previously to the internet it was sent through our phone line to a phone too text setup but technology is fading fast so I simply contacted my alarm contractor and he got me all setup. Hope this helps! Kevin

OurTown

Reaction score
On Tuesday I went in there and there was no air pressure again. This time the breaker was not tripped but the thermal overload on the motor was tripped. I pushed the button and it started but after about five seconds it let all the magic smoke out and tripped again. I hooked up a pancake compressor that day and shut off the blow down for the auto. Yesterday I realized my home compressor has the same type of motor so I temporarily swapped it (it is 25 years old) so we can now run the blow down. New motor is on its way. To temporarily monitor the air pressure we put a surveillance camera in front of the gauge.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
We can't find this setting. Do you remember where it was?
From the main menu select tools then select "Event". A dialog box pops up. Select "Warning" under "Network" tab. Select "Net Disconnect" and enable "email".

As I right this, I don't know how it will email you if the network is down??

OurTown

Reaction score
From the main menu select tools then select "Event". A dialog box pops up. Select "Warning" under "Network" tab. Select "Net Disconnect" and enable "email".

As I right this, I don't know how it will email you if the network is down??

Thanks and I was thinking the same thing. It seems like the app should do the checking and ping it every once in a while and alert if it can't connect.

6t7gto

Reaction score
I think cellular backup should work.
Then you could get a message/email telling you the internet is down.

Last edited: