What's new

air line into clutch on Ryko

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
What purpose does the air line serve that goes into the clutch on a Ryko Softgloss? My clutch is slipping (I guess) and has pulled the air line loose. I am still able to wash cars and have had a line all day so I have not really been able to look at what is happening. I hate to shut it down while we are still able to wash em. If the clutch isn't working anyway can I just shut off the airline? I think Dirt posted some pictures of using screws to keep it from spinning but I can't get them to come up. I'm hoping to keep on washing them as long as they are lining up and maybe try to slip in early in the morning for a fix. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jim

NJpdq

Reaction score
What purpose does the air line serve that goes into the clutch on a Ryko Softgloss? My clutch is slipping (I guess) and has pulled the air line loose. I am still able to wash cars and have had a line all day so I have not really been able to look at what is happening. I hate to shut it down while we are still able to wash em. If the clutch isn't working anyway can I just shut off the airline? I think Dirt posted some pictures of using screws to keep it from spinning but I can't get them to come up. I'm hoping to keep on washing them as long as they are lining up and maybe try to slip in early in the morning for a fix. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jim
The air line is what makes the clutch actually clutch, so as long as the brush is spinning anyway, then yes you can shut the air off, however the other side my not work correctly, for a temporary fix you can just crimp the hose and use a wire tie to keep it closed..

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Thanks. I did finally get into the bay without a customer. I was surprised that I couln't hear the air leak. Is it only leaking when it's spinning?

DiamondWash

Reaction score
The air line that goes to the clutch only turns on to engage the clutch when needed, I have my softgloss setup so it never disengages so the whole brush spins and never have had a problem with any vehicle, also that picture you are referring to was just a piece of metal with two self taping screws in it holding the top half to the bottem half, I am currently doiing this same idea to another wash owners Softgloss but instead of just one piece I'm using two pieces.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Ok, as it turns out the clutch air is not my problem. It seems that there is air escaping from my soap nozzles all of the time. I assume that there is some sort of air solenoid that is supposed to keep that from happening. It is on the "drivers side " of the machine and there is a little plastic gadget right inside the access door that is making a sound that I assume is air squeaking through. Is that the solenoid? It has a soap line and an air line running into it.
Thanks

DiamondWash

Reaction score
You are looking for the "Mac Valve" on the right side of the machine in the access panel it should say "Foam Bath" that is the Solenoid that opens to mix air with the chemicalized water for your foam bath and that is where air is leaking through. The gadget you are referring to is the foamer (1 per side the machine) and that's where air and chemical meet and mix to create foam, the solenoid might have some debris stuck inside it causing it to stay open.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Duh! You would think by now I would know that the Mac valve controls the airflow! What a simple minded creature I am! I'll replace it as soon as my customers will let me. We had snow last week so they are desperate to wash off the salt. I'm happy to oblige them. Hopefully my compressor can take it today.
Thanks
Jim