What's new

Air Compressor Size

wader

Reaction score
Im wondering what size of air compressor to get. The current one has been in here for about 25 years and its due to be changed out. I have 6 bays and 1 touchless but possibly adding another touchless down the road. Any suggestions?

Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
I would never run without two compressors again. We opened with a good 2-stage unit that was more than enough for a 6/1, and when it started tripping its thermal overload randomly I added a smaller single-stage and plumbed the tanks together. That smaller compressor works so well with 140 gallons of storage that when the 2-stage needs to be replaced I'll probably go with a second smaller one.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Wow, really, that is your question? Uh, do you have triple foam in your autos or self serves? How many low pressure cycles do you run on your auto? Do you have foaming brushes? Do you do an air weep or water? All of those factors make a difference in how big of a compressor you need.

Doug P.

Reaction score
Size does matter with air compressors. I have 30 some air compressors that range in size from 5 to 20 hp in different applications and never once have I said, I wish I had bought a smaller AC. I have a 6/2 that has a heavy duty 7.5 hp and that should handle any combination you would have at your location. I do like the ideal of having 2 smaller ones and have done that before. An auto drain is a must have for an ac at a car wash. Just my opinion.

Doug P.