What's new

air compressor question

washman9

Reaction score
we recently replaced two 10 y/o 60 gal mid quality air compressors with one 90 gallon higher quality one. my question is can i plumb one or both of the old tanks in line with the new compressor for additional air storage and in doing so will my new compressor cycle on and off less frequently. appreciate input and ideas .

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Sure you can plumb them together. Be sure to have a drain provision on each tank. They should cycle less often, but the cycles would be longer.

MEP001

Reaction score
You want to be careful and not exceed the pressure rating of the old tanks. Most single-stage compressors only run up to 150 PSI and have a lower max pressure rating and pop-off valves that trip before 175 PSI, and twin-stage usually go up to 175. I have two compressors tee'd together, one of which is higher pressure than the other, but I set the switch on the larger one to come on only a couple PSI before the smaller one, and the shut-off pressure the same as the smaller one. The compressor definitely cycles much less, and in my opinion the starting/stopping of the motors wears them out faster than running. The compressor used to come on twice during a top auto wash cycle, now there are occasional times it doesn't need to come on at all.

washman9

Reaction score
appreciate info. right now tank is topped out at 120 psi 80 gal, when switch gets to 80psi the compressor cycles on again. is there any way to adjust setting so that the compressor will not come on until 30-40 psi so that it will cycle less frequently but longer.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't know if yours is adjustable or not - check the manual or under the cover of the switch for instructions, or you may have to replace the switch with an adjustable one.

JIMT

Reaction score
Jimt

Running one compressor and 2 or 3 tanks causes the compressor to run twice as long and will get hotter. If you keep the max. pressure down you should be OK. Don't set the low pressure too low some, things will not work correctly like foaming systems.
JIMT

MEP001

Reaction score
A good compressor will be rated continuous duty and won't be affected by a longer run time.

washman9

Reaction score
i apologize, but i have gotten a little confused. so am i right in thinking that if i use my old tank(s) for additional storage and the compressor cycles off and on less often, i will save money on electrical.

Etowah