What's new

Advice on new metal carwash bulding

SHINEY3

Reaction score
Building a new construction metal building. 4 self serve bays 1 iba. all bays are 16x36. construction will begin in 1 month. any advice before I get started? Concrete building is not in the cards.

Thanks a million

JustClean

Reaction score
Building a new construction metal building. 4 self serve bays 1 iba. all bays are 16x36. construction will begin in 1 month. any advice before I get started? Concrete building is not in the cards.

Thanks a million
I've got a steel building. I feel it is okay as along as you use a better material inside the bays. Rust sucks!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Kirby bldg. It's good-looking but I should've used plastic type wall liner panels instead of the steel. I have a 30 year warranty against rust but it excludes exposure to water mist! My mistake.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Yes, consider a modular or pre-engineered building.

Steel is economical but consider some of the dissadvantages.

1) You are making a considerable investment in land and F&E and the most visible aspect of the site will be a tin can. Unless you embellish the exterior and interior with a lot of gingerbread, your image will suffer.

2) Steel will eventually rust and perforate whereas fabricated panels, aluminum and glass won't.

3) Some modualr and pre-engineered buildings qualifiy for accelerated depreciation, permanent steel buildings do not.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sometimes, as in my case, first-time investors who create their own business plans and do not illicit the services of a carwash consultant must try and save $ wherever they can. Cost savings were the main reason I chose a metal building.

I was attracted to the ribbed steel look to me I didn't compromise on appearance. My building is also about 1/3 concrete (4' foundation wall).

New construction is tricky, especially for first-time investors.

I guess it depends on your long-term goals for the project, too. Many businesspeople who own real estate look at the life of a project and the value of the land vs that of the business and its improvements. Some investors want to use up the assets making money; if the building wears out, so be it. Others may want to create a family business with longevity of everything, including buildings and machinery.

There's no one right answer here.