What's new

advertising questions

dewey9876

I CLN CAZ
Reaction score
Ok background- I am a exterior wash with express detailing and full service detailing. We have been around for 18 years. We have always done the normal couponing as advertising. We do the direct mailings (Val-Pak) as well as register tapes. I did some calculations and for every coupon redeemed it cost me between $4.50 and $4.87. The coupons are only good for our best wash, $3.00 off, reg. price is $16.50. My question is, is it worth it to spend that kind of money. We have always stayed away from radio but I am thinking about trying it. Larger audience, more time to convey message, etc. Does anyone have any experience with radio? What are some other options out there. Thanks in advance!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do some radio as well as newspaper.

It depends upon your market. Here, there is ONE local radio station that is family-run. They wheel and deal a little and I have a friend who makes me some cool ads.

The key is to differentiate yourself from competitors, keep it fun, light-hearted and friendly while hammering home your points.

My newspaper ads need work; IMO they are not creative enough, but I am on it!

There's another thread here currently about grocery receipts. Check it out!

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am currently looking at doing some radio advertising to see where it takes me. We are going to hammer the advertising once we get the dog wash open in the spring.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Optimizing broadcast media requires skilled execution.

The most effective broadcast media is TV and it may be very affordable through your local cable system. Visual impact is powerful.:)

Radio has lost a great deal of its impact due to other music, news & sports options... but it still works when properly applied.:rolleyes:

The idea behind either medium (TV or radio) is clearly distinguishing your business from all others. If you limit your message to audio (radio), its wise to develop a consistent format supported by a short music jingle, catch phrase or mascot (character association).:D

Since radio coverage is fleeting, it's best to consider a saturation campaign to assure consistent coverage. Your effort must have impact along with a "call to action" that motivates a response. Some advertisers use a special promotion with great success.

Time frame coverage is typically a 2-week campaign, with a "Plan B" series if the initial thrust fizzles... or is a loser right out of the gate. Drive time news positioning is ideal.

I suggest developing a comprehensive program that uses broadcast and print, along with on-site reinforcement of whatever promotion you choose to develop. Integrate all media with the same message that is simply presented utilizing the strength of each particular medium.

Seeking out some professional assistance makes good sense.

When it comes to advertising, there is always room for negotiation. ALWAYS. And don't overlook the resource of using barter power. I love to wheel & deal with barter relationships... because your money goes much further... and you've captured a new audience... and developed new network relationships. Anyone ignoring the power of barter is missing a great resource!

-Steve

Last edited:

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am currently looking at doing some radio advertising to see where it takes me. We are going to hammer the advertising once we get the dog wash open in the spring.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

To me the cost of advertising is probably prohibitive for most self-serves. Even with 20 or so bays and three or four locations the amount of radio, TV or newspaper advertising an owner could purchase is questionable - - at least it always was for me in the Kansas City market.

What the small operator needs is publicity - - that amounts to virtually free advertising. It takes some work like writing press releases and there are some minimum costs like sign, stamps and so on but compared to advertising it is almost free. Besides, for me it was almost always fun. On top of that some of my promotions, not by any means all, produced media coverage far, far beyond what I could have ever afforded to buy in advertising. Space limitations keep me from listing all the various types but I have written about them elsewhere and offer a bulletin detailing them. I'll put three here if space allows:

1. Color coded free washes for special days. "All red cars cars washed free on Valentine's Day from 9 to 3" or "All green cars washed free on St. Patricks Day, 9 -4". You want your wash to be known as frequently doing such promotions. The banners can be used year after year. Send panoramic pictures with the press releases. Be there on the designated day, greet folks in your green shirt. (I'll do #3 in a cont).

2. Politics: Ween Clinton ran against Dole my banner all across the facia of a 4 bay ss read:"Vote for the candidate of your choice by the bay you wash in". Almost every local TV station featured it - - it's perfect for a slow news day - - same for the press. My OPRAH for President Promotion is well know to most forum readers.

So advertising is O. K. but very costly. Publicity is almost free, sure to be fun and in my opinion does things ads can never, ever do at a tiny fraction of the cost.

Patrick H. Crowe

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Super, awesome and fabulous ideas that I fully intend to implement in 2009.

Thank you!!!

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Cont: The third type of publicity is a free car wash tie in promotion with local charities or not-for-profits. Banner and press releases needed but through the use of tokens an owner gains the advantage that the customer can wash any time, any day - - -unlike the situation in #1 (posted earlier) when it's done of a certain day like Valentines day.

Here the possibilities are almost endless. I've given ten free car wash tokens to anyone who would donate blood during a two week blood drive. Of couse this must be coordinated with the blood bank but they generally like the help.

The same can be done with any of the many food pantries. Here the banner reads: "Free car washes for any donation to the XYZ food pantry - - details below". Then there are sheets telling the customer where the food pantry is, what the tokens are worth and all the other pertinent.

I'll close with a report on a promotion for leadership training for a youth group at a church near one of my washes. I gave the youth minister 1,000 car wash tokens and told him the kids could sell them. The next Sunday, at the end of each Mass (big parish)the priest announced that the youth group was selling tokens in the back of the church and they got 100% of the proceeds. Before the last Mass that Sunday all 1,000 had been sold. What would that sort of advertising have cost? I claim it could not be bought at any price.

Before you advertize think about PUBLICITY, join the fun.

Patrick H. Crowe

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice sign. I like the message, but I think 'Merry Christmas' is sufficient (for next year, maybe.)

I get your point and happen to agree with you, though. Everything's gotta be so 'PC' lately!

What were the comments???

Red Baron

Reaction score
Nice sign. I like the message, but I think 'Merry Christmas' is sufficient (for next year, maybe.)

I get your point and happen to agree with you, though. Everything's gotta be so 'PC' lately!

Comments have been 100% positive. I have a customer who is a practicing Wiccan, so I may have just broomed her business out the door.

Red Baron

Reaction score

Seems I said what a lot of people are thinking but aren't dumb/reckless enough to put it on a sign by the highway. :)

I intended to get attention - not just to sell car washes, but know that 75% of the people who drive by probably smile and nod.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm sure it varies depending on the area as well - I wonder how that sign would be accepted in a predominately Islamic neighborhood.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

I agree with MEP100 about possible offense to people of the Islamic faith. It seems to me folks of the Jewish Faith might also take offense. I can appreciate the Merry Christmas message but why cross out Happy Holidays unless one is attempting to be provocative? I also think that those who are offended by this attempt to "get 'em" are not apt to complain to the owner because he has already shown his lack of authentic religious tolerance; rather they are apt to take their business elsewhere and also tell their peers to do the same.

Patrick H. Crowe

Red Baron

Reaction score
From a purely selfish standpoint - and that had nothing to do with why I did the message - I'd imagine that by a wide margin more people are inclined to smile and pull in, than to see the sign and decide not to wash. We're in the heart of the Bible Belt here and people around here.

Last edited:

Renato

Reaction score
I will do the same with my church, its very close to one of my car washes, I will give them 1000 cupons for a wash, and they will keep 100% of the money.
Thanks for this idea!
saludos
Renato from Mexico

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I plan to implement this idea as well. I helped deliver over 6500 lbs of food to feed 300 needy families in my area on Monday. It got me inspired to donate carwashes for churches, the red cross for the blood drive and food bank.

Pat; I already read your book, so you can keep the free stuff but thanks for the offer!