What's new

Adding a bay onto existing split face block.

APW

Reaction score
I want to add another bay beside my automatic. The outside of the existing bay is split face block. If I kept that wall and used it as part of my new bay I know I could get the wall brackets mounted fine by grinding out a level spot but how would you put up wall panels and keep them plum? Or would you block up a smooth block wall right next to the existing split face wall?

soapy

Reaction score
I did this a few years ago. It is easy to grind flat area where the wall mount brackets go. I tried spraying the entire wall with Line X but that did not turn out well and I would not do it again. Grinding the entire wall flat would be major project.

MEP001

Reaction score
I tried spraying the entire wall with Line X but that did not turn out well and I would not do it again.
I've wondered how that would hold up. I can get it in white. What about it didn't work?

DPD36

Reaction score
When we added a Profile, we had about 16 feet of split face block that became part of the new bay. I thought about floating the wall with a mortar scratch coat, but decided to try the easy way. All together I think I had to grind off 5 or 6 high spots to either mount brackets for the machine or make the wall panels look decent. I was really surprised at how well the panels went up on this section. They look as good as the panels I have covering smooth block.

Reactions: APW

soapy

Reaction score
Line X coat is very hard to clean and will grow mold. It also looks pretty dingy after a while, impossible to keep white. I have heard of people grinding flat areas so they can put strips of wood down the wall and then attach sheets to that.

STXCW

Reaction score
I've wondered how that would hold up. I can get it in white. What about it didn't work?
White will turn a dingy yellow after a few years. Waste of money. If you look at pick up beds with black spray on liners that get washed a lot, they start getting white stains. Not a good choice for car wash walls

Stan Alan

Reaction score
I did the same thing a few years ago. I just had my masonry contractor lay up a 4" block wall along the split face wall. As i think about it it was actually in 1993 and has worked out very well.

Reactions: APW