What's new

accidental vending experiment and Clearance items.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, one of the columns in my Shurvend was empty. So I refilled it. (duh.)
5 or 6 days later there was only 1 item left in that column, so I thought great! Need to refill it again!
Then I realized... I had put the wrong product in, so I had the same product in the vendor twice. (doh!) Once for a buck, and once for $1.50. My customers apparently noticed this quick fast and bought quite a few!

Yeah I know this is not revolutionary, I could probably google and find a name for this pricing tactic. Just kind of funny that I did it to myself accidentally.

It did prompt me to finally put in a "Clearance" column though for the misc items that don't sell well or I just want to clear out. So I did that today, I have a box full of stuff I'll sell for a buck each. I often give these away to customers on a somewhat random basis, but the box never seems to be empty so I'm thinking a "clearance" column is a win-win-win:
a) I get rid of a box of stuff
b) customers get happy because they get a deal
c) it gets customers to come look in the vending machine more often hoping for a deal and maybe buying something they otherwise wouldn't have.

I need to put up a small sign at the vendor to advertise the "clearance items," because yes, customers do read signs.
We'll see how it goes.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
LOL :) I did the same thing. But I put the same product next to each other. One for $1 and the other for $2. :) The $1 product sells so fast! Funny how a little marketing can move crap products. :)

bigleo48

Reaction score
Paul,

Interesting...I'll file that one at the back of my head...