What's new

911 “Burglary in Progress” Send Help NOW!!!

Randy

Reaction score
In the last few months we have been plagued with break-ins, lock drilling, crowbarring etc. This has been a very educating experience. We have great video of the persons doing the crimes and know their names. If your video cannot get a mug shot quality photo it’s useless, a license plate isn’t good enough for the police to act on. For those of you that think dispensing high security tokens is the answer to your security problems think again. You’re just as much of a target as anyone else. They have hit the car washes that dispense tokens and then sell the high security tokens 2 or 3 for a $1 or they come back and buy out the vending machines. About a week ago they paid me a visit at 8 am, drilling one coin vault, total time to drill out the 2 locks 3 minutes. I just happened to be driving by and caught them in the act and called 911 reporting a “Burglary in Progress” by the time the police got there they had left and were a couple of blocks down the street in traffic. The police stopped them and arrested them both, one is 46 and the other is 27. Both are Meth addicts and are no strangers to the criminal justice system. The 46 year old has 62 arrests and the 27 has 42 mostly drug related. The 46 year olds mother bailed him out of jail and the 27 year was released on his own recognizance after the arraignment today. Both pled not guilty. They are not charged with burglary but 3rd degree “Malicious Mischief” and 3rd degree “Theft”. Now we have a pretrial hearing in a couple of weeks. There are multiple jurisdictions that are looking at these 2 Meth Maggots. They have caused thousands of dollars in damage to car wash and Laundromat equipment. One of the problems the detective told me is that most car wash or Laundromat operators don’t report any crime. I do I report everything, I’ve had the police out to my wash 23 times so far this year. I’ll post more as it unfolds. But I have very little faith in the criminal justice system.

seattleguy

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. We've had a lot of vacuum drilling over the past year. For members that don't know, I am in Seattle about 30 minutes from Randy. I don't report these incidents to police. I will start now.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Randy & Seattleguy,

My heart goes out to you guys, We are only open between 8 AM & 10 PM & have a steady flow of customers (strangers to each other) & try to be within earshot of certain noises which seems to help. Incidents still slip through though. Based on Randy's time observation ... it is clear that minimum delay for apprehension is needed.

A brand new hair salon along with several Am Fam Ins offices were broken into & their plate glass demolished within the last week. One of the offices & the salon were right across the street from us in the strip mall.

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/loc...cle_b3e5afd2-fc31-11e1-9e40-001a4bcf887a.html

Here in western & central North Dakota crime is up. In my opinion, part of the reason is the influx from high unemployment states. Even if they find work, affordable housing is a major issue for them. Many are living in their vehicles & even camping with just a bicycle. They tend to have a gun closeby. Also, the unbelievably high wages paid in the oil field areas seems to contribute to increased drug activity.

I am not sure that hiring more police officers is the solution unless there is some way of guaranteeing that they are motivated correctly.

At one time I thought that going 100% cashless would be the answer. After realizing a really bad experience of a large corporation who unsuccessfully tried to ruin my credit ... not so anymore. What tipped the scale for me is the pertinent government agencies' really poor quality response. Trading blue collar crime with potentially even worse white collar crime does not seem to be the answer.

mike walsh king koin of bismarck

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Randy I dont even know what to say. But I'm sure you can guess what I'm thinking... it ends with "splat."

mjc3333

Reaction score
Multi layer protection to try and slow them down. I had a guy high on crack that attempted to break into my vaults even though i have a vac it up system for over 5 hours. Did not get in but wrecked the vault. Had multi layers of protection.

I feel for you. The drugs will never go away as will the addicts.

Got a great picture had it on nightly news was not able to catch him.

The business goes on.

The good the bad and the ugly.... ......

Reds

Reaction score
"Also, the unbelievably high wages paid in the oil field areas seems to contribute to increased drug activity." My area is overwhelmed with gas drilling and pipeline workers. You cannot get a hotel room anywhere in my area and there are a lot of them that are staying in campers. They are, judging by their license plates, mostly from Utah, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas. The payrates are also high here - $40/hr for a pipeline welder. Our local economy is booming - including my wash. These guys spend a lot of money locally. BUT - we have not seen increased crime or any noticeable increase in drug use. And 99.9% of these people are gentlemen - polite, helpfull, and cooperative when you interact with them. I have 3 wells within 1 mile of my house and mingle with these people on a daily basis.
To get to the point of the thread - I don't expect the cops to be able to control crime. Crime, IMO, is a societal issue. That's why I am always armed and potentially dangerous to anyone with bad intentions. And no, I'm not trigger happy, just prepared for the worst.

soapy

Reaction score
A few years ago my state made it legal to use lethal force to defend your property. Have not seen many folks shooting and killing people defending their property but it sure gives the criminals something to think about. I think it has lead to a decrease in most property crimes.

mac

Reaction score
Randy, you're between the proverbial rock and hard spot. The socalled justice department won't/can't do anything to stop this. They just want to show up, fill out a form, and have a doughnut. I had a wash in the Miami area that was broken in to. The cop showed up four hours after I called. When I asked him why it took so long, and I swear this is true, he looked me in the eye and said, "Look I only make 90 grand a year. You think I'm going to bust my butt for something like this?" If you haven't already get a concealed carry permit and take some safety courses if this is new to you. Also filing the police reports may come back to bite you. Your insurance carrier will go online and look at these, as well as any potential buyer when you go to sell. The average response time for a 911 call is fourteen minutes. The response time for a .357 is 1,400 feet per minute.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
A few years ago I was working with another guy in one of the bays at his wash in the middle of the night. We were using a blow torch and had pieces all over the place. The wash was relatively dark and was obviously closed at the time. A cop drove by and didn't even stop to see what we were doing. We were amazed.

Randy

Reaction score
I spent 4 hours in court today waiting for my break-in case to come up. Wilson the guy who was the driver of the car had decided on September 13th that he didn’t need or want a lawyer. Today he decided that he needed a lawyer, they appointed him one and he comes back on January 3rd. Gilleo who did the actual break-in decided to plead guilty to “3rd Deg. Theft”, “3rd Deg. Malicious Mischief” and “Possession of burglary tools”, they dropped drug paraphernalia charge.

This is what he was sentenced with

3rd Deg. Theft - $250 fine, 364 days in jail 360 days suspended, he already spend 4 days in jail
3rd Deg. Malicious Mischief - $250 Fine, 364 days in jail suspended
Possession of burglary tools - $250 Fine, 364 days in jail suspended
$1064.37 restitution to the car wash, like that’s going to happen

This part is absolutely unbelievable part they give him back his tools after he asked the court for them.

Etowah

pitzerwm

Reaction score
In WA he can't renew his driver's license until he pays you, at least that is what I remember

washnvac

Reaction score
This part is absolutely unbelievable part they give him back his tools after he asked the court for them.
Stupidity has run amok in this Country; as clearly evidenced by the election last week and of course, the outcome of your case.

We all need to prepare to protect our properties on our own--with no help from the government or any police agency.

Randy

Reaction score
I spent 4 hours in court today waiting for my break-in case to come up. Wilson the guy who was the driver of the car had decided on September 13th that he didn’t need or want a lawyer. Today he decided that he needed a lawyer, they appointed him one and he comes back on January 3rd. Gilleo who did the actual break-in decided to plead guilty to “3rd Deg. Theft”, “3rd Deg. Malicious Mischief” and “Possession of burglary tools”, they dropped drug paraphernalia charge.

This is what he was sentenced with

3rd Deg. Theft - $250 fine, 364 days in jail 360 days suspended, he already spend 4 days in jail
3rd Deg. Malicious Mischief - $250 Fine, 364 days in jail suspended
Possession of burglary tools - $250 Fine, 364 days in jail suspended
$1064.37 restitution to the car wash, like that’s going to happen

UPDATE!! Here’s an update on what’s going on. Mr. Wilson the driver and owner of the car that was used decided in November that he wanted a court appointed lawyer. He got his wish but the only problem is he didn’t show up on his court date. Now he’s in more trouble than he would have been if he would have gone to court. The court issued a warrant for his arrest for “Failure to appear”. Mr. Gilleo still hasn’t gotten his burglary tools back yet and I haven’t got back my quarters, there still tried up in evidence.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
UPDATE!! Here’s an update on what’s going on. Mr. Wilson the driver and owner of the car that was used decided in November that he wanted a court appointed lawyer. He got his wish but the only problem is he didn’t show up on his court date. Now he’s in more trouble than he would have been if he would have gone to court. The court issued a warrant for his arrest for “Failure to appear”. Mr. Gilleo still hasn’t gotten his burglary tools back yet and I haven’t got back my quarters, there still tried up in evidence.
Randy,

We are not sure that jail time is always the answer considering we actually have had situations where a young man asks us to call the cops on him. If we don't ... they actually will do something bad. When the cops come down they holler at them & point to the street & say "we're not no boarding house!" The county commission is talking about expanding the local incarceration facilities again though.

It seems like it in court sometimes criminals plead not guilty as a lead up to some kind of negotiation.

We are not open 24 hours which I think helps some. Please don't send too many of those habitual offenders to our area.

mike

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score

Randy, maybe somebody made him disappear like Jimmy Hoffa!:D

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Randy - I had a similar problem with my perp not showing up for his court dates. He was a no-show four times, so the judge put out another warrant with a cash bond only for the amount I was asking to be reimbursed (stealing property). So the next time he was arrested, the only way he was going to bond out was with cash at the full amount. That way, if he didn't show again, the judge would just hand over the cash to me. However, the perp did show up, but the cash went to me anyway. :)

Moral of the story, you can ask the judge for a bond to be set at 100% cash only. They don't have to do it, but it is an option I now know exists.

mac

Reaction score
You can also send a thank you note the ACLU for their valient efforts to protect the innocent till proven guilty. I think that maybe there is one, and only one, area that I can agree with the stinking muslims. Their solution of cutting the perps hand off seems fair.