What's new

5cp2120 overheating

wildcat

Reaction score
A worker at my car wash, was washing the back lot. She connected a non weep gun onto the extension hose, turn on the pump and started washing. She had to go do something and did not turn off the pump, when she got back to the gun, there was no pressure. I replaced all the seals, the valves, pressure regulator, all of the fitting too the pump and changed the oil. It still seems like the pump is overheating. do you think i need to replace the full pump or should i try something else.

MEP001

Reaction score
Does it still have the non-weep gun on it? If it's left for even a minute with no water flowing through it, it will get too hot. You can solve that problem by replacing the regulator with an unloader.

Randy

Reaction score
When you changed to seals and valves did you take a close look at the plungers to see if they are cracked or broken? You can prevent some these problems by installing a Thermo valve on the pump http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-3154-38-thermo-valve-145-degrees.aspx You always want to keep water moving though the pump, it’s the water that cools and lubricates the wet end of the pump.

wildcat

Reaction score
I replaced the rear half of the pump and runs great now. It sounds like the bearing were rubbing on the old pump.

Randy

Reaction score
Your employee must have left it running for a long time to damage the crank case. I’d get rid of all the shutoff type guns, there nothing but trouble when you have employees.

I sold a Cat 5CP crankcase on EBay not long ago, It went pretty cheap, still have the head.

Randy

Reaction score
Forgot I also have some Cat 310 heads and crankcases.