What's new

24 Volt Transformer output...

Twodose

Reaction score
Installed a 120v to 24v / 40va transformer to use for electronic tree vendor. Tested the output on the transformer, supposed to be 24v but it is closer to 30v (29.665), this is with no load on the the transformer, every other one I tested is only 2 or 3 volts over, could this be a problem?

whitescout

Banned
Reaction score
On a side note, have you ever tested your 12V car battery? Even though they call it 12V, most car batteries will read 14.4 or so when fully charged.

Usually, a 24V transformer will read a little high. I would be dissapointed if a 24V transformer did not read at least 26.4v, and as high as as 28v

I think that 29.665 sounds a little bit high, have you calibrated your meter? I think that I would run it, and check voltage with load, with a good, calibrated meter.

Twodose

Reaction score
I tested 5 other transformers in the carwash and all were only about 3 volts over, using the same meter which is a digital Fluke, in fact i checked them with 2 different Fluke meters with the same result, even checked 2 in my house, one was a 16v for the doorbell and that was close to 19v and a 100va micron i use on my test bench and that was not quite 3v over with no load, can't seem to find a definitive answer on the net.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
If you're talking about this 40va transformer:

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-3911-40-va-transformer.aspx

I use them to power various circuits around the wash. The timers in my vacs, the Idec Programmable Relay and solenoids used to winterize my tri-foam, and electronic float switches and a solenoid used to shut off incoming water to my tri foam tanks in case a hydrominder fails. They do test a little higher than usual on voltage compared to the 75va transformers powering each bay. I've never had a single issue related with using these transformers, even when powering sensitive equipment.