What's new

2 step pre-soaks Ecolab alternatives - Dissolve All Low PH and Velocity 3692 Hi PH

bcdawkin

Reaction score
I would guess that this is beating a dead horse but...I have not been able to find similar question/answers to this question on the forum.

We are currently running a 2 step pre-soak from Ecolab in our Laser Wash 4000. See the details below:

Ecolab High PH Velocity 3692 - $475.00 / 30 Gallons (applied at 3.3 oz per car)
Ecolab Low PH Dissolve All - $398.00 / 30 Gallons (applied at 3 oz per car)

We are satisfied with the effectiveness of the product and the customer service of the sales guy but I feel confident that I am paying more for chemical than just about anybody. We had more important issues to resolve at our wash in our rehab/turnaround process. Now we are on to trying to get as good or better a wash for less in chemical cost.

The questions Are...
1. What are other people running for their two step pre-soaks?
2. Where do you purchase?
3. Oz per car?

I appreciate any answers/feedback from people that own washes and have used the ecolab products.

Thanks

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Based on those numbers you are paying about 41 cents for the high pH pass and 31 cents for the low pH for a total of 72 cents. Those number seem rather high, especially the high pH application. I would definitely talk to the rep and check with some of the other chemical product companies available in your area. I think you should be closer to 50-55 cents total for those two.

bcdawkin

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That is kind of what we are shooting for. Based on our wash volume, we would see a savings of around 5K per year. I have never tried the Kleen-Rite chemicals, but assuming the same oz / car to get the desired results, that would cost around $.35/car.

Cost/30gal OZ Cost per car
Kleen-Track 2A $213.99 3.3 $0.18
Kleen-Track 1B $206.25 3.0 $0.16
Total $0.35

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
You might look at several companies or try get a better price from Ecolab if possible. Be careful if they want to change the products to achieve any savings. Keep in mind that not all presoaks are created equal. You might have to use more of some to get equal results so there might not be a real cost savings. Be sure to monitor the results to make sure that you are not sacrificing quality for price.

Last edited:

randy64

Reaction score
3692 should be applied at a rate of .5 to 2 oz per car (1:60 to 1:240) and the disolve all is not an acid it is a hi ph product also, as a presoak it shoud be applied at 1.6 to 3.2 oz per gallon (80:1 to 40:1)

bcdawkin

Reaction score
Randy,

The mix ratios that we use come from the recommendations of our chemical supplier. So obviously he would prefer us to put on more chemical than we need. Where are you coming up with your mix ratios?

Thanks

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Be careful making assumptions that "he is having you put on more than you need."

Soil condition vary significantly. I'm in the south also and at my site we have to put much more alkalinity than factory recommendations.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The tendency for overkill with presoaks is common. Like it has already been posted, each situation is a little different. It is fairly easy to play with the presoak settings to see what works best for you. Normally company product recommendations are a good place to start but you need to fine tune to get the best results at the best cost.

randy64

Reaction score
Randy,

The mix ratios that we use come from the recommendations of our chemical supplier. So obviously he would prefer us to put on more chemical than we need. Where are you coming up with your mix ratios?

Thanks
I got them from the Ecolab usage sheets. If you would like copies of them I could send them to you. I agree that you may not be putting more on than you need, but it should'nt cost that much to clean a car. Ecolab has a number of different presoaks and perhaps one of them would work better for less money.

Last edited:

soapy

Reaction score
3692 presoak is one of blue corals top sellers. I am happy with the cleaning it does at .50 cents per car in my application. I do not use an acid presoak at all with it.