What's new

12 Position 3 Stack Rotary

Etowah

SparklesSS

Reaction score
Hi all, I am running 12 position 3 stack rotary dials. In one of the bays, the rotary dial seems to have a bit of play. I have recently noticed that if the selector in not dialed right in the middle of the function it could start running 2 functions at once! Seems to be more prominent with the high pressure soap and foam brush but also noticed it on rinse and spot free.

Is this rotary switch on its way out? Anything I should try before I just swap it out?

Thanks!

Randy

Reaction score
I've had that happen before when the switch gets worn and you can get 2 functions to work at the same time. Only thing you can do is to replace the switch.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Randy I have an issue with the same rotary dial.
Once in a while as the customer is rinsing off the car the time runs out but they still continue to get high pressure rinse. It stops only when the dial is moved to another function. It only happens on the rinse.
Is it time to change the rotary dial?

OurTown

Reaction score
What is the third stack used for?

Randy

Reaction score
Randy I have an issue with the same rotary dial.
Once in a while as the customer is rinsing off the car the time runs out but they still continue to get high pressure rinse. It stops only when the dial is moved to another function. It only happens on the rinse.
Is it time to change the rotary dial?
What kind of timers are you using? I'd move the timer to another bay and see if the problem goes with the timer. If it still does it I'd changer out the rotary switch.

MEP001

Reaction score
Shallco switches tend to get really loose after only a year or two. Some of mine are so bad they're almost off a full position. Electroswitch are much better.

celica

Reaction score
I've had the same experience as MEPoo1. It's a bit tricky, but you can take the switch apart and fix it. The center square shaft is worn. That's what is causing the excessive play. Take apart the switch and pull out the shaft, then reverse it to the other end. This gives you a fresh part that is in contact with the rotary section of the switch. Make sure that you maintain the exact same position when putting it back together or else your switch will be out 1/4, 1/2 3/4 out of position. Test with a mutimeter to be sure it's in the right sequence. I had a shallco that got really stiff to turn. I had to take the switch apart to get to the internals to properly lubricate it.

SparklesSS

Reaction score
I've had the same experience as MEPoo1. It's a bit tricky, but you can take the switch apart and fix it. The center square shaft is worn. That's what is causing the excessive play. Take apart the switch and pull out the shaft, then reverse it to the other end. This gives you a fresh part that is in contact with the rotary section of the switch. Make sure that you maintain the exact same position when putting it back together or else your switch will be out 1/4, 1/2 3/4 out of position. Test with a mutimeter to be sure it's in the right sequence. I had a shallco that got really stiff to turn. I had to take the switch apart to get to the internals to properly lubricate it.
So you would take the rotary shaft out and switch ends? Any pics?

MEP001

Reaction score
I've taken apart Electroswitch 10-position switches, and they have a piece of key stock that runs through and turns everything together. If it's worn and loose, maybe it's some sort of fiber material? You can buy steel keystock cheap and replace it.

SparklesSS

Reaction score
I've taken apart Electroswitch 10-position switches, and they have a piece of key stock that runs through and turns everything together. If it's worn and loose, maybe it's some sort of fiber material? You can buy steel keystock cheap and replace it.
Thanks, I have a few spare rotary switches and plan to replace it tomorrow. Going to play around with the switch to see if I can get it apart.

celica

Reaction score
One thing that doesn't seem right is the cost difference of 8/10/12 switches. With an 8 position running at $23, you would expect a 10 position to be maybe $28-30. They are $56 or aproxx. double the cost of an 8 position. You also get a doubling of the price when you go from a 10 position to a 12 position. One would expect to pay only proportionally more for more positions, not doubling.

OurTown

Reaction score
One thing that doesn't seem right is the cost difference of 8/10/12 switches. With an 8 position running at $23, you would expect a 10 position to be maybe $28-30. They are $56 or aproxx. double the cost of an 8 position. You also get a doubling of the price when you go from a 10 position to a 12 position. One would expect to pay only proportionally more for more positions, not doubling.

Check the weight of each switch to see what each cost per ounce. (or gram)

MEP001

Reaction score
As the switches get more complicated with more selections, the engineering and manufacture of parts gets more complicated. The parts inside need to be smaller and still be just as rugged. On top of that, companies like Electroswitch base unit prices on manufacturing runs. I used to work for a distributor who placed a huge blanket order for switches once a year, and we were paying something like $12 each. Years later I had returned and tried to place a small order for some and they wanted $90 each for the same unit.

SparklesSS

Reaction score
As the switches get more complicated with more selections, the engineering and manufacture of parts gets more complicated. The parts inside need to be smaller and still be just as rugged. On top of that, companies like Electroswitch base unit prices on manufacturing runs. I used to work for a distributor who placed a huge blanket order for switches once a year, and we were paying something like $12 each. Years later I had returned and tried to place a small order for some and they wanted $90 each for the same unit.
I wish....Just took a look at the 12 position 3 stack Electroswitch on KR and its running $256.75. Good thing I have a few spares on hand.

OurTown

Reaction score
What is the third stack used for? Is it something that has to be isolated from the other stacks like running something with a different voltage? Maybe relays could be wired in those positions and then you can use the two stack switch which is less than half the price.

SparklesSS

Reaction score
What is the third stack used for? Is it something that has to be isolated from the other stacks like running something with a different voltage? Maybe relays could be wired in those positions and then you can use the two stack switch which is less than half the price.
Third stack has motor relay, timed load.

MEP001

Reaction score
Normally you'd only have two stacks, one for the solenoids and one just for the motor. I've used 10-position 2-stack for systems that used a common air solenoid for tire cleaner and presoak, and used the same stack for the motor.