What's new

1 bay with out power

Tpoppa

Reaction score
1 of my 4 bays is not getting power to the timer or coin acceptor. The bay without power in on a main circuit with another bay that does have power.

I am not strong at electrical troubleshooting, but I am guessing the issue is tied to the 24v transformer that feeds the timer & acceptor. My thought is to switch the transformer with another bay and see if the problem follows the tranformer.

I would like some tips from someone wiser before I pull the transformer. What is the smarter way to do this?

btw, I have checked the obvious stuff like breakers, fuses, and loose wires.

Reaction score
1 of my 4 bays is not getting power to the timer or coin acceptor. The bay without power in on a main circuit with another bay that does have power.

I am not strong at electrical troubleshooting, but I am guessing the issue is tied to the 24v transformer that feeds the timer & acceptor. My thought is to switch the transformer with another bay and see if the problem follows the tranformer.

I would like some tips from someone wiser before I pull the transformer. What is the smarter way to do this?

Have you checked to see if you have 24V out in the bay or in the controll box in the equipment room

MEP001

Reaction score
You'll diagnose your problem a lot faster with a voltmeter than with swapping parts.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score

Tpoppa,

A 24vac non contact low voltage voltprobe is not as good as a full fledged multimeter but non contact voltprobe can be of value checking at what point you are loosing your voltage.

mike

MEP001

Reaction score
Where would one find a 24v non-contact voltprobe?

The only time it would me MORE useful than a voltmeter is when searching along a wire for a break that for some reason isn't visible.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Where would one find a 24v non-contact voltprobe?
Tpoppa, Mep, & others,

http://www.all-spec.com/products/GT-16.html

http://www.greenlee.com/products/DE...0dADJUSTABLE-(GT%40d16).html?product_id=17647

There is a need to make sure the AC Voltage Hot wire is not too close to other wires when using a non contact device similar to this for the single probe to sense properly.

The value in using the non contact in my opinion is mainly just for a slightly quicker verification of a "no voltage" condition. Logically, from that you can determine ... if all the components are getting curent on the secondary (low voltage side) of the transformer. Or even to the transformer itself. I find there are times where it saves times verses getting out my trusty Fluke 12 multimeter.

Another plus: Less worry of accidently shorting the circuit with the metal probes of a multimeter. The single probe on the suggested non contact tester is insulated.

mike walsh king koin of bismarck

Last edited:

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
If you checked the fuse mounted to the transformer, how did you check it?

Last edited:

Tpoppa

Reaction score
If you checked the fuse mounted to the transformer, how did you check it?
I pulled the fuse on the transformer & visually checked it. I re-used the same fuse...for some reason it works now. Dirty contacts? Maybe the transformer is on it's way out?..not really sure.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I pulled the fuse on the transformer & visually checked it. I re-used the same fuse...for some reason it works now. Dirty contacts? Maybe the transformer is on it's way out?..not really sure.
The fuses on my transformers are sealed and the only way to check them is with an Ohm Meter. Thats why I asked since you stated you wern't strong at electrical troubleshooting. Still wondering how you knew the fuse was good by looking at it. Maybe yours is different than mine.

Mine are like this:

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70150946

I'm glad its working for you now....Although, You really need to know how to check the Primary and Secondary voltage of your transformer or find somebody that can help you. This is the only way to know whether it is good or bad or where the problem is.