What's new

"Your machine took my money!"

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
During yesterday’s golf game, I received five phone calls from customers reporting that a changer had stolen their $5 bill.

One lady called twice…after she saw another customer get change from the machine that just stole her money, she tried again…only to have that $5 bill stolen, too! Really!?

Turns out, the Rowe’s $5 dispensing bucket was jammed and the $10 bucket was getting the refills.

Interestingly (or, maybe not), no customers called to report the changer giving them too much money for their $10 or $20 bills!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
It never fails...Something will go wrong at the wash at the worst time. The last time we went on vacation, we were on the road for 1 hour...Got a call...The changer ate somebodies $5.... It had been months since the changer had had messed up at all! Took about 30 minutes for my son to go check it out. A lady had shoved a wet, torn up bill in the changer, then proceeded to give him crap about it...I swear, "They" are everywhere!

This wet dollar bill was jammed in my changer yesterday! Luckily I wasn't 2 hours from home!

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Isn't amazing how customers know when we don't want to be bothered and they show up at the wrong times and there is always a problem especially when we are with our Families.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I like to tell customers, "Humans aren't perfect, and these machines are made by humans, so they do malfunction. But I'm here to help..."

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I like to tell customers, "Humans aren't perfect, and these machines are made by humans, so they do malfunction. But I'm here to help..."
Jeff_L,

If it is a dollar bill that caused the problem like shown in 2Biz's pic. I quietly shift the blame to the fact that dollar bills are not being replaced often enough & that the odds of not having that kind of a problem would be much better with a dollar coin. For almost 100% of the people that resonates with them.

mike walsh http://kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html

MEP001

Reaction score
If it is a dollar bill that caused the problem like shown in 2Biz's pic. I quietly shift the blame to the fact that dollar bills are not being replaced often enough & that the odds of not having that kind of a problem would be much better with a dollar coin. For almost 100% of the people that resonates with them.
It isn't the paper bill that's the problem, it's people who carry them wadded up in their pocket or expect a bill changer to accept it in that condition. And FWIW, you do not "quietly shift the blame" or you would not have posted this at all.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
My - what? Why would the customers care about the dollar bill versus the dollar coin? How does that resonate to the original problem? Yes, they shouldn't have stuck such a crappy bill in the changer, that's the issue. But why escalate the situation? By siding with the customer and blaming a machine with no feelings and can't talk back, you've calmed the situation and resolved the issue. Perhaps then one could make a joke about the condition of the bill.

Randy

Reaction score
I get calls every once and awhile that my bill changer didn't payout or ate their $5 or $10 bill. 99.99% on the time it's a BS call. We keep track of what comes in and what is paid out so it's real easy to call BS. If it's BS call I don't respond.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It took me a long time in this business to relax when customers call me and I am with my family or resting at home. I take a couple breaths and it quickly relaxes me.

The other day I had to be away from the wash on Saturday ( to help a friend who runs a drag race/swap meet/car show event). The day was going great till I got a call: the touchfree tore a side mirror off a truck. I said take the customer's name and number and I'll take care of it. The mirror is ordered: $90 new. No big hot dog.

Stuart

Reaction score
I also have had issues with my 1400 Rowe chgrs. The problem happens when the temps rise to about 93 outside and keep rising. My chgrs face the morning sun. As the heat stays around the more problems. I started to open the cabinet doors early to relieve the heat and I have not had any problems with the doors open.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I bought my wash from the original owner, it's 48 years old. When I bought one thing he told me is, NEVER give cash refunds!!! I always ask what machine they lost their $$ in. A bay I will give time, a vending machine, what were you trying to purchase?? Thats what I give them, bill changer I give them tokens, my automatic, I give them a wash coupon. I get very few problems. If they leave a message, I always call back around 1:00 PM, most people are not home then, I leave a message to stop in for their coupon/tokens. Most dont respond!! As long as you call them.