What's new

Wiring Slugbuster II PEM-55 to IDX AT411 - SS Vacuum

trs246810

Reaction score
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/trs246810/20160416_154354.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/trs246810/20160416_154414.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/trs246810/20160416_154452.jpg

I'm not sure exactly how to swap from the coin mechanisms currently installed in my vacuums?...over to the Slugbuster II? Terminals #7 and #8 were connected to the switch on the coin mechanism it came with. I see that terminals #1 and #5 are jumpered together for 115 VAC. Should I change that jumpered connection to #2 and #5 for 24VAC? Also, which colored wires from the Slugbuster II should I connect to which terminals on the IDX? I know this is probably a lot easier than I'm making it, but I don't want to mess something up. I'm needing my vacuums to be able to accept tokens and quarters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Randy

Reaction score
You’re going to have to install a 24 volt transformer to run the Slugbuster. I’d switch the timer over to 24 volts and add a Mercury 24 volt relay to isolate the timer from the motors.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you don't already have the AT411 timer, IDX has one with a built-in transformer to power the acceptor, I think it's the AT413.

trs246810

Reaction score
If you don't already have the AT411 timer, IDX has one with a built-in transformer to power the acceptor, I think it's the AT413.

I already have 2 IDX AT411's. I guess I need to checkout the cost of the AT413...or price a couple transformers. I guess the 24V option for jumpering mentioned on the AT411's just confused me. That made me think I could possibly make them work, without having to buy something additional...or different. I was wrong again. Thank you both.

MEP001

Reaction score
The transformer would be the cheapest option. You don't have to add a relay but I would recommend it. If you do, I'd recommend a a 24V coil relay so in the future you can use a less expensive timer, but either 24V or 120V will work.

trs246810

Reaction score

Randy

Reaction score

trs246810

Reaction score
Since you already have a AT-411 use a 40 va transformer, they are $17.75 from KR, https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-3911-40-va-transformer.aspx I’d use a 24 volt mercury relay https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-50-mercury-relays-24v.aspx they are only $23.64. In the 25 years that it’s been since we first changed over the timers to 24 volts and installed the mercury relays we haven’t had to replace a timer or a mercury relay.
This is where I'm at:

yellow connects to Line # 2

black connects to Line # 3

blue connects to Line # 7

* purple is not used

I ordered two of the 40 VA transformers for 17.50 ea from Kleenrite. I know the current jumper from #1 and #5 needs to be removed from the IDX. I like the idea of things lasting. How does the relay you mentioned achieve that? Does anyone have a picture of a tranformer installed with a timer?...or with the mercury relay, too?

Randy

Reaction score
I like the idea of things lasting. How does the relay you mentioned achieve that? Does anyone have a picture of a tranformer installed with a timer?...or with the mercury relay, too?
The mercury relay takes the load off the timer. The only load on the timer is the coil on the mercury relay, it draws about nothing. If a motor shorts out the timer won't be damaged because it's isolated from the motors by the mercury relay, a inline fuse is good but sometimes they don't blow fast enough to prevent the timer from being damaged. If you don't change the timer over to 24 volts and run the relay just use the transformer to power up the Slugbuster coin acceptor and not connect any wires to terminal #2 and #3. I install the transformer and the relay on top of the vacuum, next to the motors.

trs246810

Reaction score
The mercury relay takes the load off the timer. The only load on the timer is the coil on the mercury relay, it draws about nothing. If a motor shorts out the timer won't be damaged because it's isolated from the motors by the mercury relay, a inline fuse is good but sometimes they don't blow fast enough to prevent the timer from being damaged. If you don't change the timer over to 24 volts and run the relay just use the transformer to power up the Slugbuster coin acceptor and not connect any wires to terminal #2 and #3. I install the transformer and the relay on top of the vacuum, next to the motors.
That sounds good, and I've definitely had motors short out in the past. I went ahead and ordered two of those relays. I'll pick them up with the transformers from Kleenrite tomorrow. I know I sound like I need tons of help...by asking for a picture. I guess I do. :) It would definitely help things click. If you have one of this setup?...it would be great. I appreciate your help regardless...and I'll take a picture before I put power on it. I don't feel like learning the hard way on this one.

Randy

Reaction score
Mount the 24 volt transformer and the 24 volt relay on top of the vacuum near the motors. The 24 volt relay has to be mounted so it vertical.

The 120 volt power on #1 gets removed
24 volt power from the transformer connects to #2, run a jumper from #2 to #5, you don’t need to use as heavy as wire as what on there now, your only using 24 volts. The coil only draws ma
#3 is the common from your transformer, also run a common from the transformer to one of the terminals on the relay coil.
#6 Load, goes to the other terminal on the 24 volt relay coil.
You’ve got SB II connections right.

trs246810

Reaction score
Mount the 24 volt transformer and the 24 volt relay on top of the vacuum near the motors. The 24 volt relay has to be mounted so it vertical.

The 120 volt power on #1 gets removed
24 volt power from the transformer connects to #2, run a jumper from #2 to #5, you don’t need to use as heavy as wire as what on there now, your only using 24 volts. The coil only draws ma
#3 is the common from your transformer, also run a common from the transformer to one of the terminals on the relay coil.
#6 Load, goes to the other terminal on the 24 volt relay coil.
You’ve got SB II connections right.

Thanks Randy, The 24V Coil Relays are on backorder. I got the transformers though. I decided to cram it all in here to test it with the transformer first. This is where I'm at so far. What would I need to connect the other sides of the transformer to?...or jump from here? Does it look correct so far? The white and black leads on the transformer look kinda backwards as far as what white and black typically represent.

MEP001

Reaction score
You'll need to run the transformer leads to the #2 and #3 terminals, jump #2 to #5, connect #6 output to one terminal on mercury relay, then run another common wire from #3 to the other terminal on the relay. You should disconnect the line common from the timer.

Randy

Reaction score
On the transformer input side I would connect the white wire from the transformer to the white 120 volt common and connect the Black wire t the 120 volt Black wire. With your voltmeter determine which of the terminals on the transformer are 24 volt hot and which is 24 volt common. After you determine which terminal is which run a 24 hot wire to terminal #2, run a jumper from Terminal #2 to terminal #5. Run a 24 volt common from the transformer to terminal #3, disconnect the commons that you have terminal #3 now. Run a wire from terminal #6 to the one side of the coil on the relay, run another wire from the other side of the coil to the common side of the 24 volt transformer. You can connect the black from the Slugbuster coin acceptor to terminal #8, terminal #3 and #8 are connected internally. I like to color code the hot and common wires and use different color wire for the timer output to relay.

trs246810

Reaction score

It sounded like the motors were running with 24V with #2 and #5 jumpered together. I put the jumper back on #1 and #5...and followed your directions on all of the other stuff, and it's working with the Slugbuster II now. The 24V mercury coil relays just came in. I'll run a wire from terminal #6 to the one side of the coil on the relay, and then run another wire from the other side of the coil to the common side of the 24 volt transformer. Does it matter which wire is on which side of the mercury coil relay? Can everything else stay wired the same as it is now after I do that? Thanks again for all of the help.

trs246810

Reaction score
I guess I don't fully understand if the black output load wire that's currently on the IDX #6 stays put?...and it's just as easy as adding a one more wire that goes from #6 to one side of the coil relay...and adding another wire to the other side of the coil that gets connected to #3 on the IDX?

trs246810

Reaction score
I guess I don't fully understand if the black output load wire that's currently on the IDX #6 stays put?...and it's just as easy as adding a one more wire that goes from #6 to one side of the coil relay...and adding another wire to the other side of the coil that gets connected to #3 on the IDX?

Randy

Reaction score
I don’t think your fully understanding what you’re trying to do. You’re eliminating the 110 volts on the timer and switching it over to 24 volts. The 24 volt output from the timer is going to control the coil on the mercury replay. This will take the load off the timer.
Disconnect 110 volt wire on Terminal #1, pull that wire up to the top on the relay and put that wire into the seconded hole down on of the relay.
Put a jumper from Terminal #2 to terminal #5
The wire from terminal #6 disconnect this wire from the timer and pull this wire up to the top of the relay and connect it to the top terminal. Install a new wire from terminal #6 and route it up to the relay get connected to the bottom terminal on the mercury relay, this is the coil.
Run a wire from the transformer to the other side of the relay coil, the side of the transformer that has the white wire connected to it now.
Use crimp on spade terminal connectors. Like these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...ated-Spade-Terminals-75-Pack-75-111/202522493 on your terminations, it makes for a better looking install.