What's new

Wires burning inside Fragramatics SAV-F unit

SanDiegoSS

Reaction score
I opened up our vacs today and noticed these burned areas on two of our units. The third picture is a normal looking one. There is a disc shaped jumper or resistor that looks to be the issue. I looked in the manual and their website but this piece is not identified.

Does anyone know what this is or what may cause this to happen? TIA.

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
It's a bimetal varistor, it's there to help with the arcing across the contacts when the motor starts. Did you have a lightning storm recently?

Bob-O

Reaction score
Ditto on what MEP said, had the same thing one time , lighting was what caused it.

SanDiegoSS

Reaction score
I did hear thunder a few days ago and it was raining hard for San Diego for a couple of days. Most likely the case- thank you for the responses. So is there anything complicated about replacing those parts and cleaning up the wires?

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd replace any wires that are burned to the point that the insulation is brittle or missing. The burning on the components is most likely cosmetic. If the screws turn or the spring engagements work without the plastic breaking, I'd leave them alone.

Bob-O

Reaction score
I also had to get a circuit board repaired , and the scrolling menu board repaired. Hope yours isn't that fried, good luck.