What's new

Will this work?

soapy

Reaction score
I have been having problems with the switch on my shampoo vac. It is a basic 3 position on-off-on switch rated for 20 amps using a single pole. They only seem to last about 2 months before they stop working. I found this double pole 3 position switch and made up this wiring hoping that it will spread the load over 2 contacts instead of one and make the switch last longer. Thoughts or suggestions IMG_2465.JPG

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Sounds like it would help, but thats above my pay grade.

2 vac motors pull more that 15 A onrush though - a number of years back we had some conversation on the forum about putting a delay on one of the vac motors so that only 1 motor at a time hit the peak/startup draw. I had vac breakers popping periodically, so I followed forum advice and put one of the motors in each vac on a 1 sec delay, havent popped a breaker since.
Theres an alternative for you, maybe better?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
It will share the load, but I'm wondering why the load is making these go bad. Are the vacuum motors pulling through the switch? If so, I would route through a relay instead.

soapy

Reaction score
I am not sure if it is a problem with switches now just being so cheap that the switch is easily damaged by cycling the switch. It does go through a relay already.

OurTown

Reaction score
Are there not better switches out there? What about aircraft type quality?