What's new

When would you consider replacing your machine?

APW

Reaction score
I've got a 10 year old M5 with over 100000 washes on it. Here lately it is something every week with the machine. When would you consider replacing your machine?

washnshine

Reaction score
Those numbers would probably be enough for me to start considering it. 10 years with 100k - you got some mileage out of it. Also depends though if the weekly issues are fixable by you at a low cost or if they are causing you to have a tech. out at considerable cost and if it is also costing you down time and business.

OurTown

Reaction score
Depending on what the issues are you could also consider a minor rehab of that machine. I'm sure you are itching to get a Razor in there though.

APW

Reaction score
99% of the time I can fix it without calling anyone. Less than two years ago I replaced all gearboxes and motors. My gearbox on my trolley is starting to fail already. Last week one of my dryer motors went out and my echain has a lot of slop and needs replacing...

washnshine

Reaction score
Well, if you replace your machine you have an opportunity to raise prices, create a new menu with new options and re-brand and rejuvenate your business. You get more than just a machine and it can drive up your customer base and sales. So look at it as more than just an overhaul of the mechanical aspect of your wash.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I've been thinking about the same. 12 year old Radius and just had a $7,000 bill to fix after being down for like 10 days, and then 2 subsequent issues each shutting it down for a day .

My issue is I tell myself "The biggest things have been replaced, I should be good for a while".

I've been considering the Petit 360

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
99% of the time I can fix it without calling anyone. Less than two years ago I replaced all gearboxes and motors. My gearbox on my trolley is starting to fail already. Last week one of my dryer motors went out and my echain has a lot of slop and needs replacing...
How do you know when the gearboxes are failing?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a Superior Side trac; 12 years old. I just increased prices a few months ago and still have 61% buying my top ($15) pkg.

I'm Greasing the machine and performing maintenance on it today. We do our own maintenance and repairs.

I am considering a re-load of the IBA with a Washworld machine.

I'm planning to copy a friend with my eventual purchase because I have very few 'original' ideas of my own!

New Washdog

Reaction score
I guess we have done well! We have three G5's and are getting to the point where we will be upgrading. The machines are going on 15 years old and the second busiest bay is the only one I can get a count on, due to circuit board changes/upgrades on the other two. The second busiest bay has over 251,000 washes as of last week! The only way this has been possible is we do 80-90% of our own maintenance and we keep a large stock of parts to minimize down time.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I've been thinking about the same. 12 year old Radius and just had a $7,000 bill to fix after being down for like 10 days, and then 2 subsequent issues each shutting it down for a day .

My issue is I tell myself "The biggest things have been replaced, I should be good for a while".

I've been considering the Petit 360
I am in almost exact same situation with my Ryko OHD. $6800 bill for new Ultrasonics & labor. Keep telling myself I alr3did the expensive stuff. Jist bought new SoftGloss, & the 5 yr writeoff for new equipment is NICE bonus.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I guess we have done well! We have three G5's and are getting to the point where we will be upgrading. The machines are going on 15 years old and the second busiest bay is the only one I can get a count on, due to circuit board changes/upgrades on the other two. The second busiest bay has over 251,000 washes as of last week! The only way this has been possible is we do 80-90% of our own maintenance and we keep a large stock of parts to minimize down time.
Don't understand. It reads like you did 251,000 on your busiest day....

DiamondWash

Reaction score
When we decided to replace our old Ryko OHD with a new system we went back and looked at the countless amount of money we kept trying to justify keeping it around, since replacing it with a W.W Razor I've probably spent $200-$400 in parts (pump oil, pressure regulator, injector, nozzles) for it in 2 years.

OurTown

Reaction score
When we decided to replace our old Ryko OHD with a new system we went back and looked at the countless amount of money we kept trying to justify keeping it around, since replacing it with a W.W Razor I've probably spent $200-$400 in parts (pump oil, pressure regulator, injector, nozzles) for it in 2 years.

Steve how does that compare to the first two years of the Ryko ownership if you bought it new. I know these are different times now so the money amount may be different and the machines may be made better or worse but just curious.

soapy

Reaction score
A new wash will cost probably around 3K per month. No doubt it should bring in more money but is it enough to cover that cost. One thing that will help offset that is you will get to use some depreciation on the new machine to minimize taxes. I replaced a OHD last year with a new radius and it has a cleaner look and improvements but I plan on letting my 3 16 year old OHDs keep running since the wash quality is still just as good. I have my distrubutor service mine 4 times a year and we have kept them running and in good shape without any real big surprises.

slash007

Reaction score
Anyone here replace an IBA that was older but in decent shape and see any increase in business after installing a new machine? All things being equal (price, options. etc.) I'm wondering if it was reasonable to expect a new machine to help with sales if the current machine functions perfectly fine.

wyatt

Reaction score
I have a wash that has an older brush IBA and two washes with touch free. My question is do you think brushed IBA are becoming a thing of the past as more and more tunnel washes spring up? It seems to me that there is still a niche market for touch free. I see my touch free IBA's growing rev but my brush IBA does worse. Still not sure if it's worth the upgrade/switch?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I had a passing thought a while back about just having 2 touchless machines ( I have a touches and a Soft Gloss ) and marketing the wash as a "safer" option to brushed washes. I get A LOT of customers that come to my wash complaining of damage from the EE near by.

For now I like having both but they are getting on 12-13 years old.

soapy

Reaction score
With 7 express washes in my town of 60,000 I see no market for me to try to compete on the friction side so I will stay with touchless to offer a different wash process.

Etowah